The Support Forums will be in read-only mode for a scheduled maintenance window on 01 September 2016 14:00 UTC - 20:00 UTC. More information.

Search result displaying on wrong page (6 posts)

  1. gazette gal
    Posted 4 years ago #

    I've got an odd problem. When I search for 'library' 'sheep river library' 'sheep' 'sheep library' on my site it is opening one of my pages for the results page and then posting the results below that page's content. It is not doing this for any other search terms I have tested.

    The page it is opening is: http://gatewaygazette.ca/sheepriverlibrary/

    My search box is at the top of the right sidebar on every page, so if you just go to http://gatewaygazette.ca you can access it to try it yourself. So for example search 'river' and a normal results page shows up. Then search 'library' and you'll see the difference.

    For the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening.

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

  2. Krishna
    Posted 4 years ago #

    The search for sheep river library returns results correctly. Each word in the phrase also work fine.

    The problem is with http://gatewaygazette.ca/sheepriverlibrary/ where you have a Google search box that searches among all sites on the web and takes the visitor out of your site even before searching anything. Reset it or remove it.

  3. gazette gal
    Posted 4 years ago #

    Thank you Krishna. I continued troubleshooting after posting this topic and in the end I deleted the original page and created a new one. The problem was arising when I added the word "Library" to the page title. I've left the url the same at http://gatewaygazette.ca/sheepriverlibrary/ but instead of having the page Title as Sheep River Library, I've changed it to SRL and the problem corrected itself. I can't say that it is a proper "fix" but it is a work around and I needed it to be functioning properly right away so it will have to do. But I still find it bizarre that if I leave the word "Library" in the page Title, then the problem as described above continues to happen. It really shouldn't matter what my page Title is, an internal search should still display the results on the normal result page.

    It just happened that I only just managed to get it working properly when you went into it and tested it, so you didn't experience the odd result. But thank you for taking the time to check it and respond.

    This page is an independant landing page for our local library to set as the home page of the browsers on their public computers, so the Google search box is functioning as it should, this page isn't intended to keep people in the primary site of http://gatewaygazette.ca. **Correction** I was curious by your comment and now see what you mean - grrr - guess I'm not finished with this one yet *sigh* - thank you for bringing this to my attention. **Phew, that was an easy fix - this is now working properly too**

  4. Krishna
    Posted 4 years ago #

    Glad to note that you could fix the problems!

  5. gazette gal
    Posted 4 years ago #

    Note: now that I know I can basically turn this problem on and off by changing my page Title, I have set it to "SR Library" for the moment. So now, if you go to http://gatewaygazette.ca and search the word library you will see what I was talking about in my original post.

    I'll leave it like this until tomorrow so that anyone who comes across this topic can see what's happening - I really would like to know what might be causing it.

    But tomorrow I will need to just use the work around of a different page Title to stop it from happening if there isn't a proper fix for it.


  6. gazette gal
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I've applied my work-around to this problem so that the search is working properly on my site.... however.... if anyone should happen to come across this post and is interested in troubleshooting what actually causes this anomoly to occur feel free to leave a comment and I'll set it up again so you can see for yourself what is happening.

    I'm fine with the work around, but the fact that I cannot name the Title of this page "Sheep River Library" and must change it to "SRL" (or something that doesn't contain those words) indicates that there is a bigger issue at hand. Just hope it doesn't cause other problems down the road. :-)


Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic