Support » Plugin: W3 Total Cache » Saving wp-admin/options.php with W3TC Minfy Results in WSOD

  • Resolved Plan9

    (@plan9)


    Occasionally I use wp-admin/options.php to edit variables.

    I have noticed that with W3TC Minify enabled saving wp-admin/options.php results in a blank page – a WSOD.

    With Minify enabled but all options unchecked the error still occurs. Disabling Minify itself fixes it.

    This is not a big deal in in itself – but I am concerned that it could be indicative of some bigger issue. No errors are logged. Disabling all other plugins and trying other themes gives the same result.

    Does anyone else see this behaviour?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plugin Support Marko Vasiljevic

    (@vmarko)

    Hello @plan9,

    WSOD in 99% of the cases are caused by a 500 error, so there should be something in the error logs
    Enable debugging to see the 500 error. If that doesn’t help, use WP_DEBUG_LOG

    Hi @vmarko

    Thanks for the suggestion. I already tried enabling debugging with nothing showing up. I just tried enabling the debug log – but this too showed nothing.

    I also checked that the WP options table is not corrupted – it is fine.

    Plugin Support Marko Vasiljevic

    (@vmarko)

    Hello @plan9,

    We are unable to replicate this issue. I can offer you our Pro support so we can investigate this. You can contact us directly via plugin Performance>Support.

    Hello @vmarko

    Thanks for trying to replicate the issue.

    I managed to fix it by taking the following steps:

    1. Export settings from W3TC plugin general settings
    2. Disable W3TC plugin
    3. Delete W3TC plugin
    4. Using phpMyAdmin export backup of database, then search in ‘options’ table using option_name and operator ‘LIKE %…%’ for ‘w3tc’
    5. Delete the results
    6. Re-install W3TC plugin and import settings (I’m not sure this step is strictly necessary as I think the settings were already correctly populated – I think they are stored in a static file).

    Editing / saving wp-admin/options.php now behaves as expected. I guess this procedure could also be used as a final resort to solve other W3TC issues.

    Plugin Support Marko Vasiljevic

    (@vmarko)

    Hello @plan9,

    Thank you for providing your solution.
    Glad to know that the issue is resolved!

    BasicPro

    (@estudio-de-grabacion)

    Hello,

    I’m having the same issue, but I think the problem is more serious because even calling update_option does not work. I tried uninstalling the plugin and still having this issue.

    @plan9 I’m not into database too much, could you tell me the exact query you entered to remove W3TC database entries?

    Thank you
    Dídac

    Hello @estudio-de-grabacion)

    I used the following to remove W3TC entries from the WP options table:

    DELETE FROM ‘wp_options’ WHERE ‘option_name’ LIKE ‘%w3tc_%’

    If you want to see what is being deleted run this first:

    SELECT * FROM ‘wp_options’ WHERE ‘option_name’ LIKE ‘%w3tc_%’

    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Plan9.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Plan9.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Plan9.

    You need to add spaces – spaces are being removed from the query when posted here

    BasicPro

    (@estudio-de-grabacion)

    Thank you @plan9 for your help,

    I deleted the entries from the DB but I still have the same issue. Not sure what it can be because I’ve looked on the internet and this was the only thread with a similar issue. I have disabled all plugins and set default theme and I still can’t update options.

    BasicPro

    (@estudio-de-grabacion)

    Hello again,

    Turns out it was a problem with a php.ini setting. The value max_input_vars which is set to 1000 by default. When saving the page it was unable to send the request correctly because there were more than 1000 values on wp_options. Not sure why the function update_option did not work though.

    Anyway, in my case, it had nothing to do with w3tc.

    Thank you!

    @estudio-de-grabacion

    Glad to hear you resolved your problem. max_input_vars would have been my next suggestion – I tried increasing that before deactivating plugins.

    wp_options table is generally a mess. I don’t understand why this aspect of WP has been left like this.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.