Ruined The Site by Changing File Permissions
I am assisting a company that is running WordPress on a subdomain until the site is fully structured, at which point they intend to move it to their main domain.
They are using the ‘iFeature Pro’ theme.
When trying to use the CSS editor within the WordPress dashboard, I persistently ran up against an error message informing me that I needed to change the permissions on the style.css file. However, having done this, the WordPress dashboard still did not allow me use of the CSS editor.
Using a quick Google search, I found a thread that advised me to bulk change all of the file permissions for every file in the theme folder. I did this, opting to use 766 permissions to be relatively versatile, without being too insecure.
Unfortunately, something went terribly wrong. Suddenly the site became inaccessible on any level. The wp-admin dashboard, the index page, indeed everything associated with the website simply shows a blank page. Here is the blank site.
Knowing that the only files altered were in two theme folders (‘iFeature’ and ‘iFeaturePro’), I resigned myself to replacing both theme directories and starting from scratch.
Unfortunately, this has had no effect. Certain folders in the directories (namely the ‘library’, ‘includes’, ‘images’, ‘css’ and ‘core’) refuse to be deleted, altered or replaced by their brand new counterparts. Consequently the site remains blank, I cannot access the WordPress dashboard, and I have no idea how to remedy the situation.
- The topic ‘Ruined The Site by Changing File Permissions’ is closed to new replies.