I just stumbled on this forum while browsing the WordPress Codex and thought it would be great to get some feedback on my new website. Users don’t typically comment about those types of things, unless something is horribly broken like user registration.
Here is a little background on the purpose of the site:
I have run a couple of websites for many years and have now moved into writing Facebook applications. I wanted to pull together a site that was somewhat of a branding effort to pull all of my stuff together. I want the focus to be on “Our News” and applications, but also want to offer curated social-networking articles. I plan to write articles about WordPress and maybe even incorporate curated technology news into the site (Palm, iPhone, Blackberry, etc) as that is where my “roots” are from with PalmZone.net.
In running past websites, I have found it hard to get users to engage in conversations about the articles, even with over 5,000 users on PalmZone.net, the forums were active, but people hardly commented on articles. So I wanted to place comments inline with the articles on the main page.
I also wanted to keep the social-networking news from drowning out “Our News”. So the news is limited to just my stuff with other news only in a “Recent News” plugin.
I spent a great deal of time editing a free theme where I liked the color scheme and graphic accents. I changed the theme to be what I call “semi-fluid”. At a minimum, it fits in 800px and at a maximum it fits easily in 1024px. I suspect there may be cross-browser issues as a result.
What I’m looking for from the review:
I’m open to any constructive criticism, but here are a few things I’m concerned about:
1. Cross-browser compatibility, especially when viewed from various monitor resolutions
2. Typography. Are the fonts OK and the sizes? Is the main article text font too small? Is there enough whitespace considering all the information that I’m trying to cram into a small space?
3. Effective layout. I like displaying only post excerpts and per above showing comments inline on the home, category, etc. pages. Does that work well with what I’m trying to accomplish with the site? Does the layout of the site let you see quickly what the site is about, what I offer, and the fact that I offer other curated news as well?
4. Speed. This one’s always an issue. How is the speed of the site in general, both when logged out and logged in. I know the Facebook Connect stuff slows the site down a lot as Facebook has to parse “the DOM tree” looking for Facebook Markup Language (FBML). I’m showing average 3 second load times with WP-Tuner, but occassionally there are serious lags. I’m hosting a couple of other websites and several Facebook apps on a small dedicated server (1.7GHz, 512MB RAM). I have gzip compression on via .htaccess and all of my plugins are cached. I wrote some of the plugins myself just so that they would be cached.
Thanks in advance! The direct link to my website is http://xtremelysocial.com.
- The topic ‘Review Request for Website – XtremelySocial.com’ is closed to new replies.