By mail and in this forum I received several questions regarding my WordPress powerd site. Sorry for the late answer, currently I am very busyâ€¦
Iâ€™ll give a short answer to all the questions:
1) How did you implement a Flash-header?
Answer: In header.php I wrote the following code just beneath <?php wp_head(); ?></head><body>:
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="760" height="83">
<param name="movie" value="/wp-images/header.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="/wp-images/header.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="760" height="83"></embed>
2) How did you accomplish the static section, "about this site" and "news from the net" on the homepage (while it is not visible on the other pages)?
Answer: In index.php I wrote the following code just beneath <?php get_header(); ?><div id="content" class="narrowcolumn">:
if( is_home() && $paged <= 1 )
3) Your Guest Book is simple, but effective. How did you make it?
Answer: Step One: Making a Page Template
â€¢ Open the page.php (or similar name) in your template.
â€¢ Open index.php in your template.
â€¢ Copy all your comment php code and comment template information from index.php
â€¢ Paste this information into page.php under the storycontent.
Template Name: Guest Book
to the top of the page before <?php get_header(); ?>
â€¢ Save page as guestbook.php
Step Two: Making the guestbook in WordPress
â€¢ In your dashboard, go to Write/Page
â€¢ Under page options, select guestbook under page template
â€¢ Add a disclaimer or what not to the page.
â€¢ Volla! Your guestbook is set up and users can start leaving uncategorized messages for you!
â€¢ Their messages will be posted as comments and will be styled just as the comments on your posts.
(taken from geeksmakemehot.com)
4) Notice that every image you quoted on each posting has a standard picture frame with drop shadow and of the same size. I wonder if you manually edited each image in PS before you uploaded them, or your using certain plugins to automate that action?
Answer: On this simple solution I am the most proud, because I found this solution all by myself by just playing with CSS. I used the follwing code in my stylesheet:
margin: 0px 14px 7px 0;
5) How did you accomplish that every link on your site has a defined and neat web directory, ie, the link "Guest Book" has this url http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/guestbook/
Answer: This is very simple: in wp-admin go to Options -> Permalinks and change the structure. I used /index.php/%category%/%postname%/
6) Could you list all the plugins and scripts that you're running on the site?
This is my list: Bad Behavior, Brian's Threaded Comments, CG-Feedread, Exec PHP, Hide/Cut Post Text, Jerome's Keywords, Popularity Contest, Paged Comments, Google Sitemaps, WP-ContactForm and WP Paginate. Although I am a newbie regarding PHP I adapted a lot of these plugins to answer my needs.
Feel free to answer more questionsâ€¦