Today I had my first opportunity to restore a database from backup. It worked well, but it also lost track of backup files made after the restored file. The problem I was having required several restorations, and each time my only available restore files were ones made before the most recent restoration file was made, so I was progressively presented with earlier and earlier backups, but could not get back to the newer backups. I even tried the RESCAN link but got the same results.
When I checked the backup folder using FTP I saw that the more recent backups were there in the folder. In fact, though the plugin indicated that I could restore from prior to the 7 backups I have it set to keep, the actual files from before the retained 7 backups were not in the backup folder, and presumably would have spawned an error if I tried to restore one of them.
This looks and smells like a bug that should probably be checked out.