Support » Fixing WordPress » Replacing charset= with htaccess causes trouble

  • Hi,

    I tried removing the line

    charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>

    from my header.php and instead using

    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

    in the .htaccess file in the root directory. This is supposed to increase the site performance.

    But it also leads to some characters being displayed in the wrong way on my website. It only applies to special characters like the German Umlauts and full dashes etc. How can I fix this (except for reversing my change).

    I am particularly interested in this because I already encountered this problem in the past when I manually exportet/imported my WordPress database content via phpMyAdmin. Using the new database resulted in the same faulty display of some characters (e.g. ä, ö, ü, –, ß)

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • are they displayed as one or two characters. In the first place try

    AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1

    Thanks for the suggestion. It is two characters.

    ö is replaced by ö
    ü is replaced by ü
    ä is replaced by ä
    – is replaced by –

    So it is 2 or 3 characters

    Adding this
    AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
    did not fix it, I tried it just in case…

    [Note – There is no “Support Team” here, only the average Joe who volunteers on these forums]

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Replacing charset= with htaccess causes trouble’ is closed to new replies.