WordPress.org

Forums

[resolved] Removed widget left artifacts on page (2 posts)

  1. winglimit
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Hi everyone,

    I'm using a theme (The Jewelry Store - Theme Forest) that has a featured area for the homepage.

    The featured area is populated by a widget and the widget has an option to insert your own code. I had a custom code slider that was working fine, but decided I wanted something a little fancier, so I tried to integrate Nivo Slider using HTML and jQuery/JS.

    It wasn't working properly, so I deleted the widget. The caption HTML element from the slider code still shows up in the featured area as if only "part" of the widget was removed. If you're familiar with Nivo, the featured area also shows the "slices"/slides for a moment and then they disappear, but the caption element still remains.

    I've tried adding a new widget in hopes of overriding whatever was left over, but no luck. I've removed all widgets from that area but still no luck.

    Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Widgets leaving behind artifacts?

    EDIT: The code in question called CSS and jQuery files. I deleted the CSS files before deleting the widget. In the front page's source, the calls for the jQuery and CSS files are still there. Don't know if this would have any affect on the behavior.

  2. winglimit
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I don't know what the original issue was, but maybe someone will benefit from this post.

    Solution

    Log in to your SQL database (using phpMyAdmin, etc.) and go to your wordpress database. Locate the wp_options table and find the field option_name.

    Check option_name and press the browse icon. In option_name, locate the entry for the offending widget (in my case it was widget_nws-featured)* and DROP the entry.

    When you create the widget again from the dashboard, WP will re-create the entry and it should work fine.

    *not 100% if it was widget_nws-featured or a (blank) entry named frontpage_featured_widget_area. I deleted both for good measure and everything worked fine.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic