I inherited a WordPress server with multiple websites on a MySQL 5.6 database sized at over 500MB. Most of the space was in around 200,000+ spam comments no one had been monitoring or removing. I used some plugins to automatically clear much of the junk, then manually deleted what wasn’t caught by the tools. Unfortunately, without a tool to optimize the databases they remained bulked up. WP-Optimize had good reviews, I ran it despite the warnings about not optimizing everything because we were on MySQL 5.6, and it reduced the total SQL database size to under 100MB. Also, although I had a snapshot on the VM for disaster recovery, WP-optimize didn’t break anything. Subsequently I’ve upgraded to MySQL 5.7, imported the SQL from the cleaned-up VM, and have run WP-Optimize a bit more, and we’re under 60MB for the entire database size. Works beautifully!
- The topic ‘Reduced My Database Size from 500MB to 60MB’ is closed to new replies.