Support » Plugin: Redirection » Redirection works on some entries and not others

  • Resolved devrap

    (@devrap)


    As the topic mentions: some entries redirect great and others don’t.

    My client is transitioning her site to a new one, and wants most (not all) of her pages and posts to redirect to an external, transitional landing page for now with a 302. Eventually, the whole domain will point over to the new site/domain with a 301; but for now we have created 302 entries for most pages and for all posts (using regex for everything with the /articles/.* prefix).

    Redirects tested as relative links from the plugin all work, but *certain pages* and articles don’t when entered as a full url such as https://www.fiveriversyoga.com/yoga-therapy-sessions/ . Unfortunately, most of the top level pages showing in Google search results aren’t redirecting. With the above-listed regex rule, some blog posts redirect and others don’t.

    What could be the culprit? I’m not finding any other reports of this same issue. Note that this was using old PHP, and we did just today migrate to a new server running PHP 7.0 in the hopes of fixing this. Also, we seem to be unable to change the Apache settings to update the pathname to update .htaccess (it’s greyed out), and I believe it’s looking at the old server path.

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • devrap

    (@devrap)

    Also, I meant to add:

    • For the pages and posts that aren’t redirecting, I’ve double (and triple) checked the entries, which are correct; and tested them on https://redirect.li/http/ and get the results of “No details are known for this HTTP request.”
    • I exported the redirects to json, then deactivated, uninstalled and reinstalled Redirection in order for this to update the apache server pathname (as this moved to a new server config yesterday and that’s not an editable field in Options). I imported the redirection entries and the results are the same, even with cleared cache/new browsers. No details are known for these http requests.
      • This reply was modified 8 months ago by  devrap.
      • This reply was modified 8 months ago by  devrap.
      • This reply was modified 8 months ago by  devrap.
      devrap

      (@devrap)

      I think I found/fixed the issue:

      It was related to my not having entered a trailing / after the relative links being redirected. I.e., I entered in /contact for those who may be typing that in directly or have that bookmarked. But Google results links always have the / at the end.

      So testing from Redirection always worked, as it was always matching exactly the url I had entered. But search engine results links were sending to /contact/ and that was not set up for redirection.

      I’m still not sure why this happened on articles with a regex rule that would/should have applied to everything, but that may be related to having been on an old server location running old php. New server location in the system + php 7.0 seems to have taken care of that issue.

    Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • The topic ‘Redirection works on some entries and not others’ is closed to new replies.