I tried a couple of times, and the *fastest* was 5 minutes.
It's a problem I notice lately invading the net, especially as more and more people on broadband design sites (and software), entirely forgetting that there are a gazillion people out there who still use dialup.
BTW I noticed that WP 2+ is decidedly (!) slower on a dialup than WP 1.5 was.
The total size of all images is 664417 bytes, which is more than half an MB for a front page. I (old-school) design front pages to not (ever) exceed 20-30 kb, images included.
See the speed report here:
And as so noted by the optimizer, these data do not equal what happens when the net is busy or you're not on full connection. I'm on a simple (non-ISDN) 56k modem dialup line, no frills included.
Thus five minutes isn't quite as wondrous a fact as you think :-)
There's lots of room for compression by the way, some of these images have 100+kb. One has even 200+kb.