disclaimer: I am new to wordpress, NOT a developer and am not fluent in php,
I installed WP last week via my hosting service (FatCow) 2/17. Since then have been at work building a website. I uploaded and tried various themes (I didn't log them, to be able to tell you which/how many but was working on Clearlines when my issues started) and pluggins (again I coulnd't quote all of them to you).
My site was 'close' to being uploaded to my host for release on Fri 2/21 with no issues (other than my own lack of fluency). I found a new pluggin from wordpress.org to use to create a form, and tried to Install it via my dashboard.
I started getting an error "An Unexpected HTTP Error occurred during the API request." And then it kept on going. I could not upload themes, or pluggins.
After researching the issue here, found numerous suggestions - tried them all.
- deactivated plugins
- uninstalling plugins
- reverting to 2010/2011 theme
So, I tried a fresh installation of WP, still errors unable to load themes and plugins. Then I read that I didn't uninstall WP properly and did not 'rename' my admin username from 'admin'.
So, I tried a fresh 3rd install of WP - after I uninstalled WP, and ensured that the WP root dir and MySQL databases were deleted.
In my 3rd install of WP, I renamed my admin username to 'administrator'.
***Still getting API errors - can not install plugins or themes.****
I can UPLOAD (and then activate) themes and plugins as a workaround (this seems odd to me.)
Given that I have a work around; here are my questions.
- Am I making a major mistake, and setting myself up for future crashes/fatal errors by continuing to use WordPress?
- On my fresh installation; what can I do to eliminate this "An Unexpected HTTP Error occurred during the API request" error?
- would migrating to a new host make a difference? I would be out some $$ but, I need to get my site live to make $$...
- finally, if the host make a difference to the stabilty of WordPress... anyone willing to make a recommendation?
If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and any insight/recommendation your are able to share!