Support » Plugin: WooCommerce » Question marks added to product descriptions

  • Resolved brentst

    (@brentst)


    Using the native woocommerce import/export functionality I exported a list of all products to edit the weight. We had switched to grams from kilos a while ago but there were some products that had not had the weights adjusted.

    When i uploaded the product list question marks were added to the product descriptions.

    I have checked the wp-config file and we are using utf8mb4 so it is not a db character encoding issue.

    I have searched google and have not found anyone else with this problem.

    Not sure where the problem came from nor how to fix this.

    anyone?

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plugin Support Austin M

    (@apmwebdev)

    Hi @brentst. Can you link us to the CSV in question, or a sample CSV with a few of the products that import with strange characters in the descriptions? I’d recommend Google Drive or DropBox for this, but anything that would allow you to link us to the CSV would work.

    Thread Starter brentst

    (@brentst)

    Hi Austin,

    there are three css in the zip file

    the original download before i edited anything.

    the weight adjusted upload.

    the download that shows the question marks added

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18LgBjdOwvvlqTsLvBkPYXxiLurfroIvy/view?usp=sharing

    thanks,

    Brent

    Plugin Support Austin M

    (@apmwebdev)

    Thanks @brentst. That is definitely strange. What did you use to edit the CSV?

    Thread Starter brentst

    (@brentst)

    i thought so too. It’s not often that i have an issue that someone hasn’t had before…lol

    MS excel for mac

    Thread Starter brentst

    (@brentst)

    Hi,

    Any ideas for a solution that involvers removing the question marks en masse and doesn’t require editing each product manually?

    Plugin Support Austin M

    (@apmwebdev)

    Hi @brentst. What if you tried editing the CSV through some other means, such as Google Sheets? That seemed to work for me. The steps I took were:

    1. Import the original CSV into Google Sheets.

    2. Export it from Google Sheets as a CSV.

    3. Import the resulting CSV from step to into my local test site.

    When I tried to upload the weight-modified CSV you provided, it told me that it couldn’t upload it. The error it gave was:

    
    The file is empty or using a different encoding than UTF-8, please try again with a new file.
    

    This makes me think it was something in MS Excel that did this. If you can find a way to change the character encoding in MS Excel, that might work too.

    Plugin Support Austin M

    (@apmwebdev)

    We haven’t heard back from you in a while, so I’m going to mark this as resolved. Feel free to start a new thread if you have any further questions!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.