Support » Plugin: Footnotes Made Easy » Property of non-object error

  • Resolved Heather

    (@justgeekingby)


    Hi šŸ™‚

    I’ve been using this plugin for quite a while with no problems until now and a few days ago I noticed a couple of errors had popped up:

    Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/jadedlioness/blog.ruby-wings.net/wp-content/plugins/footnotes-made-easy/footnotes-made-easy.php on line 193

    Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/jadedlioness/blog.ruby-wings.net/wp-content/plugins/footnotes-made-easy/footnotes-made-easy.php on line 246

    Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/jadedlioness/blog.ruby-wings.net/wp-content/plugins/footnotes-made-easy/footnotes-made-easy.php on line 248

    Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/jadedlioness/blog.ruby-wings.net/wp-content/plugins/footnotes-made-easy/footnotes-made-easy.php on line 266

    Trying to get property of non-object in /home/jadedlioness/blog.ruby-wings.net/wp-content/plugins/footnotes-made-easy/footnotes-made-easy.php on line 280

    Although the plugin still works these errors may be causing other issues with my blog so I may need to look for a replacement if they are not fixed.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Author David Artiss

    (@dartiss)

    Hey,

    You timed this right – I’m just working on an update at the moment.

    However, you don’t give me too much to go on here – is it just a single post this appears on where footnotes are used are all? If just one, what makes it different to others, etc? Basically, I’ve not seen this error before and will need to recreate it to get to the bottom of it.

    I may need to look for a replacement if they are not fixed

    Awww, you were doing so well until that point. “Fix it or I’ll go elsewhere” is rarely likely to help – please be nice and I’ll grant you your wish šŸ™‚

    Heather

    (@justgeekingby)

    Hi,

    I use the plugin on pretty much every post and it’s coming up everytime I post, so I would say that it is happening every time the plugin is being used. The lack of information was not on purpose that is simply all the information my error log plugin provides me. At the end of the day it’s not my job to hunt down the issue in the code; it’s yours.

    My comment was not an ultimatum it was simply a statement of fact. This plugin has not been updated in 10 months, nor had there been any posts on this forum in 7. It was quite possible that it was yet another dead plugin. Considering it was issues with my blog that made me check my error log in the first place I think it’s pretty good of me to take the time to notify you of the issue rather than just find a new plugin. To be honest, the only thing that stopped me doing that was the hassle of editing so many posts as I couldn’t find another one that uses double parethesis and thus would cut out the added work.

    But well done. Thanks to your attitude I’m going to just do the extra work and swap. I’d rather do that than have to interact with you again.

    Plugin Author David Artiss

    (@dartiss)

    I’m sorry you feel that way.

    My comment was not an ultimatum it was simply a statement of fact.

    Although it was a statement of fact it was also a threat and isn’t a good way to start off asking for support.

    This plugin has not been updated in 10 months, nor had there been any posts on this forum in 7.

    That’s correct. But I do subscribe to all forums and respond quickly, even if that doesn’t mean regular updates. As with most developers, I do this voluntarily so my time to work on this is limited. In the case of this plugin, I took it from another developer, who had abandoned it, so it’s a touch more difficult to work on as a result.

    However, if a bug is reported I will actively look at it – if it’s just an issue for that user I’ll give them a workaround but if it could affect many then I’ll push out a more urgent update. Thankfully that’s not been required over the last 7 months.

    Iā€™m going to just do the extra work and swap.

    There are a lot of good footnote plugins available. I would recommend trying Footnotes, although that hasn’t been updated for a year.

    Meantime, I’ve added your bug report to Github – https://github.com/dartiss/footnotes-made-easy/issues/17. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can see an obvious cause. Otherwise, I’ll leave it open in case another user reports it.

    I’ll close this thread now as I’ve progressed this as far as I can for now. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Property of non-object error’ is closed to new replies.