On lots of previous occasions, I have moved WP installs from one server to another; I usually follow the same basic process:
- Run a db dump from PHPMyAdmin
- Copy wp-content to desktop
- Install a fresh copy of WP to the new server
- Drag wp-content to new server
- Drop new tables and import old SQL dump file
- Get to a screen that reads ‘database upgrade required’
- Upgrade DB and fix any minor issues
- Get on with my life
However, I am running into a world of pain with the latest attempt at reproducing this process; I have followed the usual steps – copied over wp-content, imported the old DB but when I go to the site root, instead of the ‘upgrade your DB’ message, I’m stuck in a never-ending loop where the WP installation screen comes up and prompts for blog name, email, and the other setup information.
Unless I’m doing something different – which I really don’t think I am – something seems to have changed with 3.4.1 that is changing the WP behavior when moving a site in this way. It seems odd that the clean install installs and functions fine and then thinks it needs installing again once I copy over the wp-content and the MySQL dump from the old site.
Sorry if that was a bit rambly – it’s late in the day and I’ve done this 10 times – could really use some help!
- The topic ‘Problems with moving WP to new server’ is closed to new replies.