WordPress.org

Support

Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » [Resolved] Problems with foreign characters

[Resolved] Problems with foreign characters

  • marcwitteveen
    Member

    @marcwitteveen

    When I create a new category or enter a new blog post and I use foreign characters e.g. ŠĐČĆŽß, etc. they are not stored with I save the new category, post or page.

    I have checked the database, the table, connection, fields are all UTF8. The template front as well as backend are UTF8. The module mbstring.so is installed on the server.

    I checked the log files but nothing is there, except for some missing image, which is much less of a problem.

    As suggested on some forums I’ve also commented out with no success:
    /** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
    // define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’);
    /** The Database Collate type. Don’t change this if in doubt. */
    // define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”);

    Anyone has any clue what it could be and where to look to resolve this issue?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • tomontoast
    Member

    @tomontoast

    Could you post a link to your site?

    marcwitteveen
    Member

    @marcwitteveen

    Here is the link to the website: http://telex.si/~kovanec/

    The site is setup in a test environment on the production server.

    marcwitteveen
    Member

    @marcwitteveen

    The data you see is imported from a database where the database had wrong encoding settings. This is easy to fix once the initial problem is solved of entering data.

    tomontoast
    Member

    @tomontoast

    Can’t see any problems. Try deactivating all plugins and try again. Beyond that I don’t know what to suggest…

    marcwitteveen
    Member

    @marcwitteveen

    No plugins where enabled… I also switched theme to the basic one. It makes no difference.

    When I create a category, with as name: ABCDE and then rename it to ŠĐČĆŽ I get an error message: A name is required for this term.

    marcwitteveen
    Member

    @marcwitteveen

    I did a new clean installation of WordPress in a subfolder and it has the same issue.

    marcwitteveen
    Member

    @marcwitteveen

    Solved. Within PHP.INI you have some settings that say what encoding to use. Seems that by default (not 100% sure) they are set to Japanese. So what you need to do is change them (where you can to) UTF-8 or pass.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘[Resolved] Problems with foreign characters’ is closed to new replies.