Support » Fixing WordPress » Problem with upgrading to 3.5.1

  • Resolved thestealthyfox


    I’ve just tried to upgrade to the latest wordpress and have been presented with the following error.

    Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_taxonomies_for_attachments() in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage22/re/ds/ho/ on line 67

    Does anybody know what I need to do now? I’m afraid that if I manually update WordPress through the FTP that it will wipe my entire site.

    Any help welcomed!


Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Try:
    – switching to the default theme by renaming your current theme’s folder inside wp-content/themes and adding “-old” to the end of the folder name using FTP or whatever file management application your host provides.

    resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin.

    – re-uploading all files & folders – except the wp-content folder – from a fresh download of WordPress. Make sure that you delete the old copies of files & folder before uploading the new ones.

    – running the upgrade manually via wp-admin/upgrade.php

    Thanks Esmi.

    Should I copy any of the files to my mac from the FTP just in case?
    There’s a lot of content on there and I don’t want anything to happen to that.
    Would that be the wp-content folder?

    99% of your site’s content is stored in your database – not in any files. The remaining 1% will be uploaded media stored inside the wp-content folder. As long as you stay away from this folder, you should be fine.

    I followed all of the above, however now I am getting the following:

    Fatal error: Call to a member function register_handler() on a non-object in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage22/re/ds/ho/ on line 953

    I am unsure how to upgrade manually via wp-admin/upgrade.php – are there any notes on it anywhere?

    Thanks – I ended up reinstalling the old wordpress and I’m going to skip this upgrade for an easier life!


    I am a complete novice and am having the same error as you stealthyfox. The front end of the website looks as normal (after a tense 15 minutes where it just said it was in maintenance mode). However, I can’t login to the back end.

    I just get this:

    Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_taxonomies_for_attachments() in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage22/al/ph/aa/ on line 67

    I’m really beginning to panic as I have nothing backed up as didn’t realise it wasn’t done by the hoster. I know this sounds ridiculous.

    Not ridiculous at all – I always forget to back up which I know is awful!

    I just uploaded the previous version of wordpress again via the FTP.
    Which hosting company are you with? I ended up changing to TSO host who I’ve never had any problems with when updating to the latest wordpress.

    Oh, I’ve just seen it’s 123reg – that’s who this site was hosted by before. They’re not too great when it comes to installing the latest updates.

    My advice would be to switch if you can!

    Oh no, this doesn’t sound very good.

    I have just contacted 123reg and explained what has happened. So there may be a way for them to fix this from their end?

    It’s all so confusing.

    I didn’t find them too helpful and it took about 2 days for them to come back to me. Sorry to scare you!

    The best thing for you to do is a manual install of the previous wordpress and that way you’ll get all your info back…

    Just had a peek at your site, you have some strange permalinks!
    At least your site is still up though, mine went down completely.

    Do you know how to do a manual install through the FTP?

    Do I? Well I guess that will be the first thing to fix if I ever get back into it haha.

    Well it wasn’t coming up at all initially so I am grateful now at least it looks normal.

    I have no idea how to do that I’m afraid. Oh dear this is turning into a bad Tuesday.

    Do you have access to your FTP server?

    I would suggest making a back up of your wordpress files on there first, then it’s basically a case of downloading the old version of wordpress and uploading the old wp-admin and wp-includes files to overwrite the new ones, but don’t overwrite wp-content.

    That’s really important or you’ll lose your theme and pictures!

    You can download the old version from here in the WP archive:

    I’ve been there, don’t worry! I stressed for hours thinking I’d lost everything, but it all came back up 🙂

    Thank you for being so helpful.

    Your reassurance has prevented me from a stroke even if I haven’t solved it yet.

    By FTP server do you mean the section on 123reg called ‘Web Hosting Control Panel’?

    It has a list of all the folders and files on the site, starting with logfiles and public_html?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Problem with upgrading to 3.5.1’ is closed to new replies.