Please note, I’ve read through all of the documentation available and pages and pages of threads on the support forum here. I’ve also Googled pretty heavily…still rather lost.
I initially installed WP-Super Cache as a sort of “ransom payment” to my previous hosting company (HostGator). One day in 2013, the site had a database query issue that impacted the server and long story short is the only way to get it unsuspended was to install WP-Super Cache.
The plugin DID eradicate the immediate problem, but I didn’t understand whether it would mask issues and/or make ferreting out “bad” stuff more difficult.
I’ve intermittently done work on the database and I’ve gotten it down to a mere fraction of its previous size.
The database issue in 2013 was very likely caused by some kind of bloat (huge amount of post revisions, wp-post meta, transients, removed plugin, removed theme, etc.).
1) It does seem like WP-Super Cache did / is hanging onto some very old stuff amongst its many files
2) The plugin seems to be inhibiting my ability to do what is a very necessary redesign.
I need some information regarding how to SAFELY proceed here:
1) My new hosting company sent me the following message…
We are sending out this email to inform you a exploit has been found in recent versions of the plugin known as MailPoet(http://www.mailpoet.com/). We have come across at least one installation of this in an account that you own. Please make sure to read up on their blog about the security exploit and make sure to upgrade right away as ignoring this could potentially mean having your entire account compromised.
I uninstalled wysija newsletters a LONG time ago (2 years+ ?) I don’t remember if any of its residue was amongst the muck removed during my many database and directory sweeps, or not.
A) HOW does one know whether WP-Super Cache is actually caching stuff that plugins and themes leave behind?
B) How does one safely get rid of such stuff?
2) In order to redesign this site without interference from the cache, I deactivated WP-Super Cache. However, I’m experiencing…
– significant delays in changes showing up
– inability for an icon font to display anything but the square or unicode box, even though I’ve followed an identical set of procedures and practices for using it that I’ve used successfully on at least half a dozen other websites. Identical means…same theme framework and child theme, same wp_enqueue functions, same folder locations and paths, same icon font source, same css, etc., etc.
– appearance of caching files in my directories with recent dates (i.e. a couple of days ago) although the plugin has been inactive for 60 days+.
When the development is done, I intend to continue using WP-Super Cache. Although it was installed ‘against my will’, I do think it is obviously a magical thing. My only real criticism is more information like the stuff I’m asking about is hard to come by.
In other words, I don’t want to delete the plugin…unless I truly must in order to develop in the clear…and I REALLY don’t want to break the site by removing code, etc from places (i.e. htaccess) unless that’s safe to do.
Please advise, thank you.
- The topic ‘Problem site, needs developement REALLY need information’ is closed to new replies.