Support » Plugin: The SEO Framework » Polylang sitemap.xml problem

  • Resolved Bike Gremlin

    (@bikegremlin)


    Tested on a website with Polylang. It seems that the plugin doesn’t add translations (apart from the “site default” English language) to the sitemap.xml

    Or I did something wrong.

    On non-Polylang websites it works fine.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Hello again!

    TSF outputs a unique sitemap for each language.

    You can find the other sitemaps by using the language code (for example, es for Spanish):

    example.com/es/sitemap.xml
    example.com/sitemap.xml?lang=es
    es.example.com/sitemap.xml

    In Google Search Console and Bing’s Webmasters Tools, you can submit the other sitemaps.

    Thread Starter Bike Gremlin

    (@bikegremlin)

    Thanks for the lightning-fast reply (not being sarcastic)! πŸ™‚

    Yup – it’s all there.
    Googled, didn’t find that answer.
    Thanks again. πŸ™‚

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Yea, your inquiry is on top of our list for a new KB entry πŸ˜… almost forgot about that.

    Thread Starter Bike Gremlin

    (@bikegremlin)

    Knowledgebase is a great thing – and the easiest one to leave for tomorrow. πŸ™‚

    Anyway – sitemaps are acting a bit funny on my Polylang websites.
    Tried disabling Cloudflare – so it works as DNS only.
    Tried disabling Litespeed cache plugin as well.

    Incognito browser window, f12 – network – cache disabled.

    Still it shows only one language articles no matter which language I add.
    Website is in en and hr, but I can add es – it will show a page – but always the same list of posts – the ones in English (or whichever language is the default one).

    Tried renaming robots.txt on the server – didn’t help. These are its contents now:

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

    Sitemap: https://io.bikegremlin.com/sitemap.xml
    Sitemap: https://io.bikegremlin.com/sitemap.xml?lang=hr

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Hello!

    Each language should have its own sitemap.

    I’m not sure why ?lang=hr is used in your case. I’m marking it as a potential bug for inspection.

    You can find the other sitemap here: https://io.bikegremlin.com/pocetna/sitemap.xml
    Submit that one to Google and Bing, and you’re all set πŸ™‚

    Thread Starter Bike Gremlin

    (@bikegremlin)

    That link shows 404 from my browser(s)?

    https://io.bikegremlin.com/pocetna/sitemap.xml

    As for the language tag, my other language is set to hr (“Croatian” – same as Serbian, only nationalists decided for Serbian to use only Cyrillic, and Croatian to only use Latin script – for the same language, that had both scripts officially when I was at school, and with everyone in Serbia primarily using the Latin script… πŸ™‚ – not going to politics, just explaining why it’s set to Croatian ).

    Anyway, it’s no bug.

    When I rename robots.txt, TSF puts its own, showing this:

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

    Sitemap: https://io.bikegremlin.com/sitemap.xml

    —-

    So no sitemap added for the other languages (default/main is English, the other language is Croatian – hr).

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer

    (@cybr)

    Hi again!

    Sorry for my belated reply, I’ve been a bit under the weather πŸ™ But I’m all OK now! πŸ™‚

    TSF doesn’t supplement other sitemap locations in the robots.txt file, because we cannot accurately assume their locations.

    You can submit each unique sitemap to Google Search Console and Bing’s Webmaster Tools. And they will crawl it periodically.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Polylang sitemap.xml problem’ is closed to new replies.