Support » Plugin: Polylang » Polylang language switcher not working – homepage

  • Hi,

    I recently installed W3 Total Cache and since then encounter problems on the homepage with the language switching. Where I normally land on the Dutch version of the page I was now redirected to the English version and clicking the Dutch flag on top kept on redirecting me to the English version.

    The only way I could fix this was by purging the cache but a few hours later the same happened again.

    The problem only seemed to occur on desktop. I could reach the Dutch page on my mobile.

    I found this article on github which seems closely related to what I encounter. Is this a fix that will be released soon?
    https://github.com/polylang/polylang/issues/236

    If I understand this thread correctly deactivating the ‘Detect Browser Language’ should solve the issues for now. Is this possible together with the URL modification setting ‘the language is set from the directory name’. I don’t quite understand the note at the end of this article :
    https://polylang.pro/doc/detect-the-browser-preferred-language/

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hi, I would appreciate if somebody could provide me some help with this question.

    I see how this problem is resolved for users of WP Rocket caching so I wonder if a solution could also be provided for W3 cache users.

    Also, please in the meantime let me know if deactivating ‘Detect browser language’ would stop this from happening and if this would not break my permalink settings.

    Thanks.

    Hi @chouby,

    I would really appreciate if you could have a look at my questions.

    Thanks,
    Kris

    Hi @kcalwae,

    I would like to know if you found a way to fix this issue?
    I’ve got the same problem but I don’t use W3 cache or WP Rocket caching.
    The issue only occurs on my mobile phone, not on my desktop. I usually land on the English version of the website, but now it lands on the Spanish page and clicking on the American flag in the menu redirects me to the Spanish page.

    I hope that someone has a solution for this problem!

    Thanks,
    Celine

    @celine13
    Not yet, unfortunately. I was hoping for an answer to know if I can safely disable the language detection on the homepage. I suppose that is causing this issue.

    Do you have anything else that could be caching your website? Do you work with cloudflare?

    @kcaluwae
    Hmm, I don’t use Cloudflare. I don’t think I’m using anything that could be caching my website. I’m quite new to WordPress so I did some research and none of my plugins seem to be caching my website, but I might be wrong. I basically just launched my website and from the start it’s having this issue with the language switcher. My website is published in three languages but as I said, on my phone it keeps switching to Spanish.
    I also think that it’s the language detection that is causing the issue..

    @celine13 Are you still having issues? They seem to have disappeared on our site today. (without doing anything actually)

    Maybe just temporary, don’t know…

    @celine13 Ignore my previous message. This morning we’re facing the same issue back again…

    @kcaluwae
    That’s so strange! Exactly the same happened to me. Last week the website didn’t have any issues, but now the issue came back…
    Only this time also on my laptop, before I only had the issue on my phone.

    @kcaluwae I see that more people started topics about this issue now so I will keep an eye on those as well, hopefully we get an answer soon.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Polylang language switcher not working – homepage’ is closed to new replies.