[Plugin: XML Google Maps] my issues with this plugin
I’ve been using this plugin for a few months and have found some issues with it that convinced me to go elsewhere. I’m currently using Gmap4 (it’s not a plugin, but it still lets me host my GPS files myself and post dynamic maps on my site).
The biggest issue was with the file size limitation. That limitation is pretty serious. I had a short hike with a half dozen geotagged photos. I could get it to display using the second parsing method, but I really don’t want giant databases. I disabled that shortly. It doesn’t take much for the first parsing method to crap out due to memory issues. For awhile, I settled on hosting the larger files on Garmin Connect or Trimble Outdoors or some other site that offers an iframe embedding option for those maps.
Then, I finally sat down to figure out why on earth my RSS feeds weren’t working. The feeds would not validate in ANY feed validator. I eventually disabled ALL of my website plugins and then re-enabled them one by one to figure out which one wrecked my RSS feed. Turns out, this plugin was the last on the list, and it was also the one that created the problems. To be sure, I repeated the disable/enable process, and it absolutely was the problem.
It’s too bad. It’s a nice plugin, and I like the graphs it provides for .gpx files. But the fact that it messed up my RSS feeds was a deal breaker.
- The topic ‘[Plugin: XML Google Maps] my issues with this plugin’ is closed to new replies.