The problem has to do with caching.
I used the plugin on my site at http://www.nodeju.com and for a while it worked like it was suppose to.
As I got more visitors my site degraded in speed and my hosting company suggested I install the W3Total cache program.
After I did that I noticed that WPTouch sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.
To test my theory I disabled W3Total and sure enough WPTouch worked. Enabled the cache plugin and WPtouch became erratic.
Interestingly enough I do not get an error from either plugin and I have no clue how to reconfigure W3Total to make it work with WPtouch or if another cache program is available that works with it.