Hello, all! Sorry for what will be a burst of plugin announcements for me, but I haven't been able to make available the plugins I've developed over the last couple of weeks until now.
Description: An alternative to the default mailer usage of PHP's mail() function. Sends to SMTP host(s) directly (bypassing sendmail) and allows for HTML content.
Details can be found at:
All of my plugins can be found at http://www.coffee2code.com/wp-plugins/.
Since I didn't want to install and run sendmail merely to support WordPress's notifications, I opted to have WordPress send directly to the mail server. Fortunately, PHPMailer provides all the functionality I wanted to use (and more). This plugin makes use of PHPMailer (and four core code changes) to negate the need for sendmail. In addition, by using PHPMailer, a host of other mail features could be exploited. For instance, the plugin supports:
* Auto-wordwrap length for message
* Single or multiple SMTP servers
* Hard-coding of all notification origination e-mail addresses (i.e. have all e-mail "From:" fields set to something like "email@example.com" rather than the e-mail of the commenter)
* Support for authenticating and non-authenticating SMTP servers
* HTML in addition to plaintext ContentTypes for the message body