[Plugin: WP-OpenID]: Two bugs in 3.0?
I just did a fresh install of version 3.0 of the OpenID plugin, running on WP 2.6.2. I have come across several problems. They may be user error, but if they are then I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong:
I set up the plugin to work as an Open ID server for just me. I then tried to leave a comment. Here are the various results that I get:
1. I am redirected to a login screen. I log in, and the comment is posted (this part works fine)
2. I am redirected to a login screen. I type in my password incorrectly. I am prompted to try again. I try again and type my password correctly. I am then redirected to my dashboard and the comment is lost.
3. I am redirected to a login screen. Being a newb to OpenID I put in my OpenID URL again in the field instead of actually logging in. I am prompted again to log in. I figure out I made a mistake, and this time I put in my username and password. I am then:
a) Given a generic WP error told to fill in my name and email
b) Given this error:
Fatal error: Call to a member function needsSigning() on a non-object in /home/jspiers/webapps/new_jspiers/wp-content/plugins/openid/Auth/OpenID/Server.php on line 1495
The above problems all happen when I try to leave a comment using the OpenID that is created by the plugin. A more serious problem happens when I try to leave a comment using my normal Open ID (from myopenid.com). This is what happens:
1. I fill in my open ID URL in the comment form and am redirected to myopenid.com. I login, and am redirected back to my blog. At this point I am given the error telling me to leave my name and email. The comment is lost.
(I am not sure if this is a bug or if it is expected behavior, but if it is expected behavior then it seems kind of pointless to even use OpenID. The whole point of it is to make life easier on my readers, not harder.)
Finally, there is one more problem that I encountered. Prior to installing the OpenID plugin I was using phpMyID to run my open OpenID (I did disable phpMyID before playing with the OpenID plugin, so I know there is not a conflict). Anyway, I initially tried to set up the Open ID plugin to just let people log in. I did *not* have it act as a server–instead I left phpMyID running. When I tried to leave comments using the Open ID generated by phpMyID it failed miserably. The login box did not display properly, I got all kinds of errors when I tried to log in, etc. I do not think that the problem is with phpMyID since I have not had any problems using it on other sites.
I apologize if anything I have listed is user error or something someone else has already written about. I’m just trying to leave some constructive feedback. Unfortunately this plugin is just too buggy for me to use on my Web site right now. It looks like it has a lot of potential, though, so kudos on the work that has been done so far.
- The topic ‘[Plugin: WP-OpenID]: Two bugs in 3.0?’ is closed to new replies.