I reached out to Mike Jolley and he indicated that he was unable to assist at this time due to his current workload.
In the meantime, I wanted to share a workaround for those familiar with SQL ...
Couple prep items:
First, be sure all of your documents are on the server where you want them. Second, be sure you've created all the categories you want.
I created a script that I ran in MYSQL to insert all the rows into the wp_download_files table. I created a script using excel and its concatenate feature which allows me to drop in the title, name and description (and anything else you need) and quickly generate the insert statements needed. I pasted this into SQL and ran it.
From here, I selected the ids of the newly generated records in order to insert the rows into the relationships table for associating the records with the corresponding categories. I put all of these into a script of insert statements and ran it.
Tada! All is right with the world and we are good to go. This worked for me and I thought I'd share it.
Note: Mike did say that one thing to look at on your server is if you are running PHP5 - if not, this could be the problem. This feature only runs with PHP5.