So I was poking the bear with a sharp stick…..doing things I totally don’t understand. I’m hosted on godaddy, and couldn’t get gzip to work. W3 worked pretty well, every now and then things would totally hang. I wanted to see if I could make stuff work. Using my google-fu I found this bit o code.
<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start(); ?>
Popped that in as the first line of my header.php and presto, gzip was on! Things were good for a while, until I realized that any pages I had which used custom templates wouldn’t load. Took a bit before I remembered about the above code. I removed it from the header.php and got my templates back. However I lost my css formatting.
So I worked through what I could think of, upgraded to the newest dev version of W3, cleared all caches, reset everything. re-upped everything to my ftp cdn. Thats when I noticed only js mini was going up, no css. Took a look on my server, and no css mini. The css mini setting was active, links verify properly…
But, css won’t mini, won’t go to cdn, and won’t display. For now I’ve turned off the css portion of mini, and I’m running. I’d love to get it back. Bonus points for getting my gzip going too!
- The topic ‘[Plugin: W3 Total Cache] I broke my css minification trying to get my gzip on!’ is closed to new replies.