Support » Plugin: Comet Cache » Plugin Updated Crashed Site With 500 Error

  • Good Evening,

    After updating this plugin from version 160706, to version 160917 today, this update caused our site to crash with a “500 error”

    The strange thing is that there were no errors showing in the error log files.

    Obviously things like PHP memory were checked.

    Would anybody have any ideas what could have caused this?

    We have been running this plugin for a while, with all previous updates to the plugin running smoothly.

    Kind Regards,

    Andrew

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plugin Author Raam Dev

    (@raamdev)

    @andrew1977 Hey Andrew, a 500 Error sounds like a web server error, so the web server logs would be the best place to look for clues. The only thing that Comet Cache does that might cause issues with the web server is write to the .htaccess file (assuming you’re running the Apache web server). However, this is not something new in the latest version — I can’t think of any changes in the latest release that would cause problems with the web server. Also, Comet Cache never touches the .htaccess file unless you’ve specifically enabled an option in the plugin to do so.

    So, the two places I would look are your .htaccess file (if you have one), to see if there might be something corrupt in there that’s causing the web server to throw a 500 error; and your web server log files, to see more details about what exactly is causing the 500 error. If you’re not sure where that log file is, or if you don’t have access to it, your web hosting company should be able to help you.

    I have been running this since it was Quick Cache and I have had the same problem with the latest update. I am running pro version on multi site and something is not right. I get no css on mapped domains and 502 gateway errors. As soon as I disable the plugin everything functions normal.

    Hi,

    I am working with andrew1977 on this problem. I have created local “clones” of the two versions of the site – the pre-update version that the hosting company installed from backup files, and the post-update version that was throwing the 500 error. I found that the pre-update version managed to update okay; but I found that the post-update version was
    showing this error:

    include(/[doc_root]/wp-content/plugins/comet-cacheBK/src/includes/traits/Ac/ObUtils.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

    And this happened even when I deleted the plugin entirely and re-installed it (via the wordpress plugin installer).

    Another thing we noticed was that the site would run for a few minutes before starting to throw 500 errors.

    Plugin Author Raam Dev

    (@raamdev)

    I found that the pre-update version managed to update okay; but I found that the post-update version was showing this error:

    @whitelamp So you’re saying that after you restored the site from a backup and then updated Comet Cache to the latest version, everything worked fine?

    Can you tell me which version of PHP you’re running and whether or not PHP OPCache is enabled?

    I get no css on mapped domains and 502 gateway errors. As soon as I disable the plugin everything functions normal.

    @fla0 Are there any clues in your web server log files that might explain what’s generating the 502 gateway error?

    Can you tell me which version of PHP you’re running and whether or not PHP OPCache is enabled?

    @whitelamp writes…

    pre-update version that the hosting company installed from backup files

    Thanks for those details. What version of Comet Cache is the pre-update version?

    And this happened even when I deleted the plugin entirely and re-installed it (via the wordpress plugin installer). Another thing we noticed was that the site would run for a few minutes before starting to throw 500 errors.

    As Raam noted, it would be really helpful to know what version of PHP you’re running, and also whether you have OPcache enabled or not.

    Based on your comment about this running OK for a few minutes and then suddenly kicking errors back about there being a missing include file; this suggests the OPcache is filling up and/or becoming corrupted.

    It also sounds like maybe there was a sysadmin making memory adjustments. It’s possible that you may also need to adjust memory for OPcache. See: http://php.net/manual/en/opcache.configuration.php#ini.opcache.memory-consumption

    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  JasWSInc.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  JasWSInc.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Plugin Updated Crashed Site With 500 Error’ is closed to new replies.