How can I let my users enjoy a simplified image upload? The default one that WordPress uses is too complicated for our purposes with its more than a dozen fields and options. The simplest possible upload field would be far more suitable in its user-friendliness, while the best possible fit for casual users would be somewhere between the simplest one and the WP default with its dozen or so fields.
The intended behavior for example for a real estate agency site is to let the uploader:
- Choose an image to upload or to get from an URL
- Optionally choose a title for the image
…while not showing any of these fields or options that are currently shown:
- File name
- File format
- Uploaded on
- Alternative text (the title, if any, would automatically be used)
- Link URL
- Types <Use as a field value button – redundant as the user could have no other intention
As probably anyone reading the list immediately feels, some of these fields could have their uses in different use cases. The best solution would be the ability to customize the custom image field. Each admin can then configure the available fields for each custom image field they deploy.
The sites where images are uploaded the most, such as imgur.com, have also the most convenient upload interfaces. No modal dialogs and a minimal amount of options. It would be a killer feature for Types to provide the same.
While searching for a solution I found the Image Upload Helper library, but it seems that this only lets the same dialog be placed in new places. Having a look at their code could provide some inspiration, unless you’ll go straight for for example a JQuery upload solution or Uploadify.
- The topic ‘[Plugin: Types – Custom Fields and Custom Post Types Management] A customizable or simplified image’ is closed to new replies.