I’ve been in the “vocal minority” of people who prefer the “events are posts” philosophy of TEC 1.6 (the now-deprecated and unsupported version).
Maybe I’m just missing something, and maybe I’m approaching calendaring from the wrong angle. I don’t have that much experience with WordPress sites. So rather than whining about it, I’d like to learn how other people use their site’s calendar along with the rest of their site’s functionality.
Here is a perfect example. This is quite real. Today, unexpectedly, my client asked me to post an event announcement and invitation for a party. They are not really aware of the details of TEC 1.x or 2.x and we’re more or less a brand new site.
They wrote to me “we would like to post the xx/xx/2011 party invitation on the website. It should go on the Calendar but also I want to upload the actual invitation so that people can print it out and mail us the RSVP slip with their money if they would like to attend.”
So using our existing TEC 1.6 site, all I had to do was:
1. Click Add New Post.
2. Enter text describing the event.
3. Click “Yes” to “Is this post an event”, and fill in the date, time, and venue.
4. Select multiple categories to assign to this post (Parties, Important, etc.)
5. Use the standard WP “Add Media” button to upload the PDF of the invitation, automatically creating an embedded link in the post body.
6. Select one of our logo images as the Featured Image.
7. Post it.
Now our front page features it (and its Featured Image) under our “Important Posts” widget, in our TEC Upcoming Events widget, in our Recent Updates list, and of course on the actual TEC calendar page. All through the creation of that single post. It’s also present in our various category-driven top level pull-down menus, e.g. “Our Activities, Parties”. (This is why I love WordPress categories.)
I have NOT tried doing this with TEC 2.x, so I am truly ignorant on this and am asking you folks:
a. How would you accomplish the above with TEC 2.x, and/or
b. What different practical/philosophical approach would you take to posting and integrating the above content on your own site?
While I expect it would be considerably less convenient to post this invitation in TEC 2.x, maybe I’m just stuck thinking about things in the wrong way and/or expecting too much — how would you have handled this?
- The topic ‘[Plugin: The Events Calendar] How Do You Use The Calendar on Your Site?’ is closed to new replies.