Support » Plugin: Taxonomy Dropdown Widget » Plugin: Taxonomy Dropdown Widget- Won't let me choose taxonomy at Basic Settings

  • Resolved Bird is the Worm



    When I go to customize the Taxonomy Dropdown Widget (TDDW) for my various terms, the very first option under Basic Settings is a dropdown box for Taxonomy. However, the dropdown menu shows up a null field.

    For some reason, the widget isn’t recognizing my taxonomies.

    My original custom menu did recognize the taxonomies, so it’s not like it’s a problem endemic to my site.

    I have some questions:

    1. Is it expected that some modifications are necessary with the Editor, depending on the specific nature of the taxonomies from site to site?
    2. And if #1 is “yes,” then I am having difficulty determining where that modification needs to occur. I thought I saw a likely candidate at the very top of the widget code, but the changes I made to the language didn’t change anything on my site.
    3. Admittedly, I’m a novice at this. I was looking at the resources that Erick Hitter linked to, and from what I could glean from it, I’m wondering if I need to create an arg statement, which will then allow the widget to recognize that I have three different custom taxonomies.

    It just kind of looks like all that’s needed is to learn the way to get the widget to notice the taxonomies. I was hoping I’d figure it out on my own, but I’ve spent days on this, and now I’m just spinning my wheels.

    Thanks in advance for any help.


Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Author Erick Hitter


    The problem you noted arises from a change made in WordPress 3.3. I haven’t had time to update the plugin to resolve this problem, but hope to do so in the near future as it also plagues my Taxonomy List Widget plugin.


    Hey, Erick.

    Thanks for getting back and the widget.

    I discovered a work-around that seems to be holding firm. Here’s what I did to overcome it…

    I noticed that even though it wasn’t letting me select the taxonomies (as described in my original post), when I did activate the widget, it actually behaved correctly on my site. I figured what was happening was that even though the widget code was not finding my taxonomy statements where it expected to find them (thus, the null field), it then was going into a secondary mode of just looking for any type of taxonomy term/statement that would allow it to achieve its ultimate function. And it did. And the taxonomy it chose (Musicians) was the first of three I had defined in my function.php file. So, I figured, maybe it’s acting like POS systems act when applying a coupon/discount code and searches out for specific number/alpha sequences… attaching themselves to it when they find them.

    So what I did was, under the widget editor, I added two extra lines of code, which corresponded to my two other taxonomies of “sound” and “label”:

    class taxonomy_dropdown_widget_plugin {
    * Class variables
    var $option_defaults = array(
    ‘taxonomy’ => ‘musician’,
    ‘taxonomy’ => ‘sound’,
    ‘taxonomy’ => ‘label’,
    ‘select_name’ => ‘Select Tag’,
    [AND so on]

    Then, I went and activated two more of the drop down widgets, even though, as the first time for “musicians”, it didn’t allow me to actually choose a specific taxonomy. But I think the two additional widgets basically behaved the same way the first did and looked for the first “unattached” taxonomy definition and grabbed it up.

    I’m making plenty of assumptions, and it’s possible none of them are correct. I’m new to this and trying to apply my limited experience with software programs and common sense to figure out the lay of the land.

    Again, thanks.


    Plugin Author Erick Hitter


    Version 2.0.3, released tonight, resolves this problem.


Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Plugin: Taxonomy Dropdown Widget- Won't let me choose taxonomy at Basic Settings’ is closed to new replies.