Over the past year I’ve found that most issues people have getting this plugin boil down to four things. Here they are with bolded titles for easy scanning. 🙂
* The correct format for the request column is something like ‘/about.html’ and is a relative path from the wordpress home page. The correct format for the destination column is a full url like ‘http://yoursite.com/about/’. This is because you can only process requests that wordpress handles but you can redirect to any page on the web.
* The presence of a static file at the request URL. If you’re redirecting /about.html and you have a file with that name left over from an old site, wordpress (and thus the plugin) won’t process the request. You can fix this by deleting, moving, or renaming the file.
* Caching plugins like wp-super-cache can conflict with the plugin. This is because the authors give the plugin a very high priority, assuming no action should come before a cache check. This is mostly right, except in the case of page redirects. Anyway, the remedy to this is usually to disable and then re-enable the caching plugin. This should alter the order of plugin execution so that the 301 plugin will run first even though it has equal priority.
* Finally, if mod_rewrite is not enabled, the plugin won’t work. I mention it last because it’s very uncommon. If you have permalinks other than the default ‘/?p=xx’ format, this is not the problem.
Hi, I know this is an old topic but I can’t get this to work. I have formatted correctly but I am not sure what a static file is si I am not sure if I have one or not. I am totally redoing my site and making it simplier but want to redirect my ‘old’ pages to my new pages, but I have not trashed the old ones.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.Thanks.
By static files I mean HTML, PHP, or other files that exist on your server separate from wordpress at the address you’re trying to redirect. If you have not removed the old files yet, the redirect will not work. I suggest renaming the old files so you don’t lose anything by mistake.
- The topic ‘[Plugin: Simple 301 Redirects] The Most Common Issues’ is closed to new replies.