Thanks for being so thorough, Robin! Here we go:
WordPress version: 3.9.2
bbPress version: 2.5.4
Theme: Twenty Twelve
All other active plugins:
- bbP Private Groups - 2.0.1
- bbPress New Topic Emailer - 1.0 (used to send me a notification when new topics are created)
- Cimy User Extra Fields - 2.5.0 (used to create a field for student number when people register for the site)
- FBF - Facebook Page Feed Widget - 1.2.1 (used to display faculty Facebook-feed)
- Google Analytics - 1.0.5
- Quick Chat - 4.13 (used to put chat-box on the live-stream page)
- SB Welcome Email Editor - 3.7 (used to edit the welcome-e-mail)
- Hello Dolly - 1.6
- User Role Editor - 3.10
Background info: last year I set all the forums to 'hidden' and used the User Role Editor to give students' accounts access to them (allow them to read hidden forums). Now, with students in different years this will no longer work, and I'd like to use your plugin instead. I have therefore *first* disabled the 'read hidden forums' option for all users (so none of the students could read the hidden forums any longer), after which I deactivated the User Role Editor and started setting up your plugin.
Also can you list the private groups settings below:
Activate checked? - no, not checked
Redirect pages: - empty, n/a
Freshness settings checked? - no, not checked
Freshness message? - empty, n/a
Hide topics and reply counts? - no, not checked
Show descriptions? - no, not checked
Private pre-fix - yes, checked
- group1: Staf
- group2: Studenten 2013-2014
- group3: Studenten 2014-2015
These are the names of my forums:
- 'Cursusinformatie' (Private, forum groups 1 & 3 checked)
- 'Bespreking literatuur' (Private, forum groups 1 & 3 checked)
- 'Cursusinformatie (2013-2014)' (Private, forum groups 1 & 2 checked)
- 'Bespreking literatuur (2013-2014)' (Private, forum groups 1 & 2 checked)
You can find my website here, and if you want, you can login using credentials demostudent / kijk eens rond. If you do, you'll be able to see only the two new forums, but if you open any topic and change the URL (you'll see how) you get access to the old topic (so far all the new topics also exist, with the same name) in the old forums.
Details about user 'demostudent': it's is in private group 3, it's role is 'Subscriber', forum role is set to 'Participant'.
I've manually changed the URL's of the old forums so that you can no longer do the above trick for the whole forum. After you login as demostudent you can still reach them though:
- Bespreking literatuur (2013-2014)
One more thing: under Tools -> Forums -> Repair Forums I've recalculated private and hidden forums - to no avail.
I'm going to make a back-up right now and then try to de-activate the other plugins one by one, and see if that makes a difference.
Update: I've disabled all of the plugins one by one, then logged off and on as demostudent and checked if that helped. Did not make any difference. All of the plugins (including bbPress) have now been deactivated and re-activated one by one.