If you have the possibility to test a beta version in some kind of test blog (NOT your regular, productive blog !) then it would be great if you could try the Development Version of podPress http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/podpress/download/.
This beta version has a lot of minor fixes like a different layout for the video player preview or the listen wrapper for the audio player.
But it has a major change in the part which produces the RSS, ATOM and XSPF feeds which includes a change of the option “Aggressively Protect the Feed”. This includes a fix for the problem with 8.8.4 it’s requirement of a relatively new PHP version and a fix which should help that non-ASCII characters in the podcast episode descriptions are displayed right in iTunes (and other feed readers).
Please, write your experiences with the Development Version down. Good and bad. And if you discover problems then try to explain the circumstances and the details.
In every case: Thank for testing and helping!
I have added 3 further pictures to the ticket and a further patch.
This patch (1093_cumulative_patch_885b2_to_885b3_v7_part …) consists of two parts.
I have tried to apply to a working copy of the podPress /trunk/-version on a Linux system without problems. It seems that the cause of the error messages (which were described above) was the usage of the wrong type of line ending characters in the header lines of my patch files.
If lines like these:
Index: podpress_admin_stats_class.php =================================================================== --- podpress_admin_stats_class.php (Revision 247380) +++ podpress_admin_stats_class.php (Arbeitskopie) @@ -76,59 +76,118 @@
are ending with a LF and not with a CRLF then it seems to work on both Linux and Windows computers.
(I have tried to convert all lines of the patch file to the LF line break bad that did not work. I had to convert only lines like these separately).
I’m hoping that these files are working now for everyone else too and that these changes will find their way into the repository soon.
It would be nice to read what you think about the reworked statistic pages and the new bot filter.
I am on FreeBSD Unix on a shared host. I just ran the latest patches agains the svn head and they worked fine.
patch -p0 -d podpress < 1093_cumulative_patch_885b2_to_885b3_v8_part1.patch patch -p0 -d podpress < 1093_cumulative_patch_885b2_to_885b3_v8_part2.patch
Thanks for all your work on this plugin and for your work to make the patches OS-generic.
I will check it out later today and comment when I have a chance.
I did a quick once over of the admin pages and the user content I have. It looks fine. I should have done a diff of what I usually fix by hand because there are still some little things not right about the svn. One I noticed is that this file is missing:
If you use podpress to embed youtube video the missing icon file will be noticed. Also I noticed that embedded youtube videos now play automatically when I load the page. I’m pretty sure this didn’t happen in previous versions.
Once again, thanks for your efforts to update this venerable plugin. If I notice any other little nits I will post.
Thank you for the first report. I have changed the autoplay setting and added this button image. I believe that there was no such image before. I have not found an old version in the repository.
(You can find the changes and the images in Ticket #1093 1093_cumulative_patch_885b2_to_885b3_v9_part1.patch and part2)
Yesterday, I changed a lot. I have added new buttons to the Feed Buttons widget, fixed some things of the Feed/iTunes settings page and the procedures which producing the RSS feeds. Further more I have fixed a problem with one of the new statistic pages.
@ray: Please, use v10 of the patch.
@all: I have put all files and patches to the repository. The latest version is the Development Version. You can download it at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/podpress/download/.
The current Development Version is 8.8.5 beta 3. I am sure that there will be a beta 4 and eventually a RC before the 8.8.5 will be marked as stable.
That is new or changed in 8.8.5 beta 3:
- new ATOM feeds: podPress adds now an feed with the name “torrent” which contains only posts (or pages) with .torrent files and a feed with the name “enhancedpodcast” which contains only posts (or pages) with .m4a/.m4v files
- more options for the podPress – Feed Buttons widget: more buttons (new buttons added: feed-enhpodcast.png, feed-torrent.png, button_comments_rss_blog.png, button_atom_blog.png, button_comments_atom_blog.png)
- more options for the podPress – Feed Buttons widget: feed buttons mode or text mode (In the text mode there is in front of each text a feed icon, but only for WP 2.2+. For older WP versions it is possible to add an icon via the Filter Hook: podpress_legacy_support_feed_icon)
- more phrases ready for internationalization (http://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers)
- frappr.com maps advice on the General Settings page of podPress removed
- contains a fix for a problem (WP.org forum post 379290) with single and double quotation marks in the media file titles (Thanks to John Halton)
- the appearance (incl. paging) of the tables on the statistic pages is updated
- new feature: a bot filter for the download statistic – users can select (and deselected) IP addresses and user agent names which are probably search engine bots. The statistics will be computed without the download numbers of these bots. (for FULL / FULL+ stat logging)
- The display of the statistics of the different collecting method Count Only, FULL and FULL+ are now separated. If the Count Only logging is active then the statistic page will have now besides the Quick Counts a comparable graph. This table and the graph and the Statistic Summary on the Dashboard are based on the numbers of the db table wp_podpress_statcounts. In Full or Full+ logging mode the number come from the wp_podpress_stats. That is important to know because the counter which counts the downloads on the wp_podpress_statcounts table counts when one of the 3 logging modes is active but the other counter which collects the data in the wp_podpress_stats table counts only during Full and Full+ mode. In other words: the numbers of the 2 tables can differ if someone uses the Counts Only mode for a while and than one of the others. Furthermore it is not possible to display the numbers of the Counts Only mode without the download numbers of the bots.
- a new ‘Downloads Per Media File’ and a new ‘Downloads Per Post’ overview (for FULL / FULL+ stat logging)
- The <object> element of the players has the class “podpress_player_object”.
- each podPress page and the Admin Menu has an icon (podpress_icon_r2_v2_32.png and podpress_icon_r2_v2_16.png added)
- a new button and icon for YouTube videos embedded with podPress (embed_youtube_button.png / embed_youtube_icon.png)
- a new button and icon for WMA files embedded with podPress (audio_wma_button.png / audio_wma_icon.png) (Now, podPress handles WMA file internally as audio_wma and not as video_wma.)
- podPress uses now the DB_CHARSET or DB_COLLATE constants to create the 2 statistics tables
- a new customizable XSPF player (Ticket #1089)
- a reworked player preview
- fix for podPress_downloadlinks container
- fix for the “Before <!- More -> tag:”-functionality
- better handling of invalid input data in the feed generating procedures
- additional descriptions for the feed settings pages of podPress
- patch for an error-free stats counter
- Podango message at the general settings page of podPress
- compared to 8.8.5 beta 2 the last patch of this Ticket #1064 makes that the enclosures which are added with podPress listed always before the enclosures from the custom fields with the name “enclosure”. That is important because podcatchers like iTunes tend to recognize only the first enclosure of a RSS item. (Is a fix for this problem.
- update to 1PixelOut player a.k.a. Audio Player 2.0
- update to getID3 1.7.9
Please, help to test this beta version. Before you start testing make a backup of your database and your files!
Report your bug in this forum and if your start a new thread then use at least the tag “podpress”.
I have updated the Development Version. The current Dev. version is now podPress 8.8.5 beta 4.
I went to try out the latest and greatest, but I ran into some problems. I am using svn and when I checked out the trunk I got version 8.8.5 beta 10 reported in my admin console (WP 2.9.2) but the player doesn’t appear on existing posts anymore.
The ply in popup windows shows this error:
Webpage error details User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729) Timestamp: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:30:23 UTC Message: Invalid argument. Line: 380 Char: 3 Code: 0 URI: http://www.mysite.com/wp/wp-content/plugins/podpress/podpress.js?ver=2.9.2 Message: Invalid argument. Line: 380 Char: 3 Code: 0 URI: http://www.mysite.com/wp/wp-content/plugins/podpress/podpress.js?ver=2.9.2
I thought maybe the trunk is too unstable so i tried to rollback to the experimental tag using
But then my entire site fails to load because of this error
Warning: require_once(/path/to/my/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/podpress//podmighty.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /path/to/my/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/podpress/podpress.php on line 79
Which tag should I use now from svn? Do I still have to run any patches manually? I thought it was all committed now?
Thank you for this report!
When does the error occur? Only when you try to use “Play in Popup”?
(This popup player problem seems to occur specially in IE browsers. I’m going to fix it.)
You wrote “… ran into some problems”. Which other problems occurred?
The experimental branch contains files which are mostly older than 2 years. I have not touched a file of it.
So the Development Version (trunk/) contains the most recent version.
All patches are applied and I put all my further changes directly to the trunk.
BTW: You don’t have to use an svn client to download the latest version. You can download it (Development Version) from http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/podpress/download/.
Good news. I found the source of the problem with the popup player and fixed this problem. (It was actually built in by me. Sorry!) Furthermore I could fix another problem with podPress embedded YouTube videos and the IE6. Now, it is also possible to set a dimension for these YouTube videos (again?). (But I don’t want to make )
@ray: So far, Thanks for your thorough testing!!
8.8.5 beta 11 is now the Development Version. A list with all the changes I made since 8.8.4 is in the readme.txt.
My problem is vey basic. The 1pixelout player has disappeared from my posts. I noticed that after updating the “enable listen wrapper” option was unchecked. When I tried checking it I noticed a couple of things.
#1 the listenwrapper image is missing from the images
#2 when I tried to save the settings I got a 404 error at this url:
My wordpress install is in a subdirectory and it looks like maybe you are getting the blog url incorrectly? E.g., the correct url above would be: http://mywebsite.com/wp/wp-admin/admin.php?page=podpress/podpress_players.php&updated=true
Will continue troubleshooting later.
If you update podPress resp. deactivate and re-activate it then it is necessary to control all settings. Because podPress seems to set them back to default during this action. That may be the explanation for the unchecked listenwrapper checkbox.
The listen_wrapper.gif is definitely in the repository: http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/browser/podpress/trunk/images
But yes indeed, there was problem which should be fixed by now -> Please, upgrade to beta 13.
To the 404 problem: I have tested again on my local XAMPP server and on my “real” test blog http://undeuxoutrois.de/wp/. The blogs are in sub folders on all systems. I have on my XAMPP system also a multi site blog. But I could not reproduce this 404 error, yet.
But the way podPress loads the player settings page (and all its other settings pages) after saving the settings is eventually a little bit odd. But if that is true then this 404 would occur on each podPress settings page after or while saving the settings. Because this procedure is the same on each podPress settings page.
Does this 404 problem occur only after saving the player settings or on the other settings pages too?
In order to reproduce this you need to set up a blog like this:
That’s how I do it and it seems like podpress can’t get the right directory for the player anymore as well as the admin settings pages. Yes, the other settings pages 404 too. some of the pictures like the listen_wrapper.gif and the frame around the video aren’t being found on the admin page and I’m pretty sure it’s because the path is being calculated incorrectly somewhere.
I think this is a regression bug. I remember vaguely the same thing happening a long time ago and I had to fix it manually (probably pre WP 2.6) but then it seemed to get fixed and I forgot exactly where I made the change. Please check that podpress is getting the blog directory correctly. I will try to help find the problem line(s) when I get a chance but I am extrememly busy right now and it might be a few days…
I believe that I understand the problem now. My blogs are installed into sub folders like yours but I did not change the WordPress URL or the Site address after the installation. They are the same in my blogs. That probably the reason why I have not discovered this problem. I’m going to look into the matter and report back later.
I have uploaded 8.8.5 beta 14.1. This should help with these 404 problems. But I have discovered two further problems (one with the XSPF player and one on the podPress general settings page) which are still in place. I had not much time today. That is why it is 14.1 and not 15. When I fix these 2 bugs I will upload beta 15 (probably in the next 3 days).
- The topic ‘[Plugin: podPress] podPress 8.8.5 beta testing’ is closed to new replies.