Sharing this great solution to Safari users having trouble getting mp4 videos to play on your Safari.
I have recently updated my Safari version to 5.1.5 (6534.55.3) and noticed that I can't play mp4 videos anymore. It just comes up as a black box.
I've searched high and low to find out why this is happening. Apparently Safari has conflicts with the Quicktime plugin. Took me a week to find a solution.
So I wanted to share my findings with anyone who experienced the same issue as me.
1) Go to the following link and download the ClickToPlugin 2.6.3 version. http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/
2) Double-click the extension file you downloaded and install accordingly.
3) Here are my settings:
- Show plug-in source as tooltip » Selected
- Load plug-in if HTML5 conversion fails » Selected
- Use HTML5 media fallbacks » Selected
- Flip4Mac » Selected
- Google Talk » Selected
- QuickTime » Selected
- Default media player » HTML5
- Load media player automatically » Selected
- Source selector » include media sources & quicktime player
4) Restart Safari
IMPORTANT: Make sure your Safari is not in 32-bit mode. Examine this through the "Get Info" selection when you right-click the Safari application icon in your Finder.
Hope this helps solves your problem! I know how great it felt for me after being not able to view videos for the past 2 weeks.