We've developed a multi-site, multi-db with custom plugins for user-generated sites, whereby the user sites are using a default preconfigured blog template.
We want to create a sister site using the same basic plugins (capabilities) but with a different theme, categories and blog template. There would be an overlap with user base; some users may want a site in both networks and content sharing between sites.
I've looked into using a combination of a multi-domain plugin plus domain mapping to establish this but I've run into some issues. Now I'm trying to determine if Networks-for_Wordpress would be a better alternative.
Reading through the documentation and forum, I still have questions:
1. In the documentation it state: "Each Network can have its own set of plugins, themes, administrators, permissions, and policies, but all will share a database of user accounts." Does this mean that plugins and themes are installed separately into each network? In other words, if you wanted to use the same plugin in both networks, is there a duplicate installation or a single installation but separate network activations? If I have the same basic plugin for both sites, but each have custom variation, how would this work?
2. Global tables. Our current multisite has a support system and global indexing that uses global tables. Does the issue related to global tables mean a. that only the sites in the first network will be included in the support system? or b. All network sites will be included in the support system?
3. Are the networks hierarchical? Would our original site be a parent to other networks in any way or are all the networks equal/independent?
4. Would there be a problem signing up for both networks with the same user name and email?
5. Does my use case seem like a good fit?