WordPress.org

Forums

Multisite Language Switcher
[resolved] Cannot associate posts after update (18 posts)

  1. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I have been using the MLS plugin without any problems. I recently updated my WordPress install to 3.4 and also updated the MLS to version 0.9.6.

    Now I can no longer set an association between posts or pages in the Edit -> Post or Edit -> Page screen.

    If I am creating a new page in English, I select the corresponding page in French and click "update" but the setting is not saved. All of the associations that I created before DO still work. I just cannot create new ones.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Matt

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-language-switcher/

  2. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    I'm using - of course - WP 3.4 and MSLS 0.9.6 too and I have no problems like this.

    If you go into the settings of the plugin ... Could you check if you can switch without problems between your blogs?

  3. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Yes, I am able to switch between blogs without any problem from the MSLS settings page.

  4. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    If I delete the plugin and then reinstall it will I lose all of the associations?

  5. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    No there is no problem to do this. You could try this.

  6. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I went back to version 0.9.5 and it started working again...

    I am away for the weekend but will try to manually install 0.9.6 on Monday. Hopefully it will work

  7. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    In the version 0.9.6 the way how the plugin gets the blogs of a user is changed. Are you sure you use the same user as admin for your blogs?

  8. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I deleted 0.9.5 and installed a fresh version of 0.9.6 but I still have the same problem.

    You said in your last post that the way the plugin works has changed. Don't you think this might be what is causing the problem?

    I only have one user for my blogs and it is the admin user.

    Please, do you have any ideas as to why this latest version of the plugin doesn't work?

  9. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    I can not help without seeing what's going on.

    You provide access to your installation via mail to re@lloc.de so I can control this.

  10. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    You could provide - of course ... ;)

  11. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I just created a superadmin user for you... please backup any files before you change them.

  12. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Seems this is a fresh installation of WordPress. There are no language files in /wp-content/languages. Please install them first!

  13. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    There aren't any language files because the backend, or Dashboard, needs to appear in English for both sites. Only the content itself is to appear in both English and French.

    I don't see how missing language files would cause this problem.

    Again, version 0.9.5 works just fine without the language files.

  14. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    It's quite impossible that it works without the language files ... trust me ;). Use WP Native Dashboard if you need a backend in English for the French site too.

  15. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I hate to argue, but with version 0.9.5 it DOES work even without the language files. :) I'm working with it right now. Go ahead and try it. Under "posts" use the "test" post as an example. You can point it to whatever post you want on the other blog and it works fine...

  16. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    I know that you think that it worked correctly but I'll give you an idea what's going on and what's the problem. The old version of MSLS created an array for example like that

    MslsOption msls_1 => array( 'us' => 1 );

    even from the en-Blog to the fr-Blog. Because you have a setup with 2 languages you never realized there is something wrong. The new version will clean this array before it saves something in the DB and at the end it will save nothing because the input will always be empty.

    If you make the setup with the language-files which is the right way (think of dates and so on - and WP Native Dashboard works quite well) the option in the DB for the fr_FR-blog will be something like that

    MslsOption msls_1 => array( 'us' => 1 );

    (because WordPress sets nothing as language when you use english) and in the en-blog in this way

    MslsOption msls_1 => array( 'fr_FR' => 1 );

    But all this was of course very helpful and will be a part of the checks in the future versions.

  17. mtibbits
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I know it has been several months, but I just wanted to thank you for your help with this. As you suggested I added the language files. Now when I update to the latest version of MSLS everything works perfectly. This plugin is great for multi-language sites. Thanks again!

  18. Dennis Ploetner
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    OK, very good!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

  • Multisite Language Switcher
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.