Multi-page Toolkit
Major Bad Practice causes 60 second page loads (5 posts)

  1. Mike Schinkel
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I just debugged a client website who was using your plugin and I found that you are using $wp_rewrite->flush_rules(); in an 'init' hook; this is a MAJOR BAD PRACTICE and your plugin should be fixed before anyone should consider using it on any website with more than a few pages.

    The problem is line 336 of TA_multi_toolkit.php; this needs to be done in a register_activation hook, NOT an init hook:

    FYI, this just cost the client US$300 to debug this problem. Bugs cost money. Fix it so the next user isn't screwed in the same way.

  2. modus
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Hi Mike, as this is a major problem for lots of people, would you (or your client) mind, if you released the fixed version?

  3. Mike Schinkel
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Releasing an existing plugin just to fix one bug is something I currently don't want to do; that would fork the code and then put the liability on me for maintaining the new forked version. I'm only willing to maintain a plugin that a client pays me to maintain or that I write and decide I'd be willing to maintain it because it fits in with my business strategy.

    The reality is that releasing a plugin of any significant complexity is a huge (typically) unpaid commitment, and one that very few people realize when they first submit a plugin. That's one reason why the plugin repository is littered with so many broken plugins like this one.

    Besides, I didn't actually fix it, I just commented out like 336 which you can do too.

    Good luck!

  4. modus
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Thanks, I definitely get your point and unfortunately just commenting out 'flush_rules' doesn't solve the issues with 3.1 and permalinks (links to tags and categories broken and permalink structures containing %category% causing to redirect cycles). I had hoped for relief ;) . This plugin seems to have reached it's eol.

  5. Mike Schinkel
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I hear ya. My client's site was 2.9.2! (it wasn't a site I was managing, I was just called in to solve the problems.). If you can't get a resolution here you might try over at http://wordpress.stackexchange.com.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

  • Multi-page Toolkit
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic