Support » Plugin: Google XML Sitemaps » [Plugin: Google XML Sitemaps] Site Map not changed on Database since April 24 Update

  • Good Morning

    Since the end of April my site quickly dropped out of search-pages that once appeared on the first page went missing, impressions dropped, search traffic dropped, crawl errors have increased and overall traffic has dropped terribly. Apparently something caused the robots.txt file to prevent Google from crawling but as of this morning I was also notified that on the data base the last build for the site map was April 24, 2012. I’m not sure why this happened because when I look into the settings for the plugin the rebuild appears to have made changes successfully. I noticed there was an update done on April 24 and I am assuming something went terribly wrong when the plugin was updated.

    Could someone please provide insight? I went as far as sending a site reconsideration to Google and they since have replied stating there was no manual site penalization.

    Please note I haven’t a clue when it comes to code etc I hire a developer for everything including updates. If at all possible when you are providing advice could you term in a way that I will understand, thank you.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The date April 24, 2012 suggests that your sudden loss of traffic may possibly be as a result of Google’s dreaded Penguin update.
    Wikipedia definition: Google Penguin is a code name[1] for a Google algorithm update that was first announced on April 24, 2012.[2] The update is aimed at decreasing search engine rankings of websites that violate Google’s Webmaster Guidelines [3] by using black-hat SEO techniques such as keyword stuffing,[4] cloaking,[5] participating in link schemes,[6] deliberate creation of duplicate content,[7] and others.

    Thank you @eamonmoriarty for weighing in but I do not participate in anything like that, I’ve grown links naturally etc. In fact, just to be safe, in case I was doing anything inadvertently I reached out to Google and I was not hit for this. After doing several plugin updates I ran into difficulties, some code we’ve been able to find and fix but not all, site map not updating, SEO all-in-one compatibility issue with WO Super Cache and not loading among other things but unfortunately where my post page once appeared in search is now being replaced with home page although none of the individual post pages have lost rank. I am very confused and don’t know how to find the problem.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘[Plugin: Google XML Sitemaps] Site Map not changed on Database since April 24 Update’ is closed to new replies.