I noticed today that the viewer was only displaying a grey area where the file should be displayed. It was reporting the correct number of pages, and you could scroll through the blank grey area as though the file was visible. I then discovered I was not logged in to my google account, so I logged in, the then noticed GDE displayed the file correctly.
The file in question resides on my server, NOT google docs.
This is unfortunately a known issue caused by some cookie handling in Google’s viewer, and one that I can’t (or haven’t found a way to) work around on the plugin side. See Notes for full description of the issue. It seems to only affect “stale” logins, not active logins (as you mentioned) or no login at all (no Google account, or literally signed out of your Google account).
I cannot count on a visitor to be logged in to a google account. From reading the notes you supplied, there is no “fix” to this. So I won’t be able to use this plugin if thats the case. Am I understanding correctly?
This would be very sad indeed, but having to be logged in to a google account is a deal breaker.
Is there a work around?
What about the iframe code supplied at the google viewed page? Anyone tried that and have a look like the GDE plugin?
You shouldn’t have to be logged in to a Google account – your visitor should not have to have a Google account at all. It is just known not to work in some cases when a person who has logged in to a Google account has let that login expire.
Unfortunately if this is a “deal breaker” you may have to defer to a service other than Google Docs Viewer, which my plugin embeds. The viewer is highly available but not 100% available – this session issue is a limitation of Google Docs Viewer and not my plugin specifically. If you use the iframe code from Google directly, you’ll have the same issue. (That’s the code my plugin inserts for you.)
Normally I would not need to be so picky, but this doc solution will eventually go in my company site, very visible in the medical arena, with consultants all over the country, etc, etc. It has to be as perfect as I can make it. I realize it is a google limitation.
I understand your requirements there also. It is hard to develop a plugin of this nature that relies on another piece of code that is outside my control (and an often-neglected Google product to boot).
If you want to try doing the conversion locally (and the documents are only PDF), pdf.js may be worth a look. Otherwise you may want to look closer at Scribd or some of its alternatives.
- The topic ‘[Plugin: Google Doc Embedder] GDE Displays doc only when logged in to google account’ is closed to new replies.