I'm running into an issue on a new WordPress install (so nothing - yet - to corrupt it):
Here's the thing:
1) In the WordPress post permalink structure, I've elected to use "/article/%post_id%/"
2) Via CPT UI I've added a custom taxonomy called "writers" with the rewrite slug being "writer".
However, when using get_the_term_list( $post->ID, 'writers' ) - instead of now getting links like http://www.example.com/writer/writer-name/ I get http://www.example.com/article/writer/writer-name/ - which of course gives a 404 error...
I am baffled by this. I've been using CPT UI for a couple of years on several sites. Admittedly, this is the first time I am using this kind of permalink structure for posts, so perhaps this is a bug that always existed - and I just didn't know.