Support » Plugin: Simple 301 Redirects » Plugin breaks top level menu links – but not submenu.

  • Having trouble with plugin. Can’t seem to find any support.

    Loaded the plugin on a site that is not yet live.

    The site lives in a subdirectory of root along with the current live site.

    So – the old site is live still and the new site containing the Simple 301 Redirect is not yet live. (don’t mean to sound repetitious – just thorough)

    What is happening is this: When I activate the plugin – the main menu TOP links break.

    However – the links under the broken TOP LEVEL links work fine.

    For examples sake I am changing the names of the domain and directories – but the example shows both a broken link and a non-broken sublink.

    Broken link (301 redirect) when plugin is activated:
    Redirect 301 /why-orange

    BUT – the sub-link under it works just fine when the plugin is activated:
    Redirect 301 /why-orange/peach

    So – I’m stuck and frustrated. My confusion is this – I do not know once the site is live if the problems will fix themselves. But I don’t know enough about 301 redirects in this situation to predict the outcome.

    Help is appreciated!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Plugin Author Scott Nelle


    I suspect what’s going on is that the request field is relative to the WordPress root, not the site root. It’s set up this way because the plugin doesn’t use .htaccess; WordPress processes all of the redirects which means they can only be configured for the WordPress root and below.

    If you post the following values for your test site (you can change the words as long as it’s the same basic structure) I should be able to either give you advice or reproduce the issue and fix it if it’s a bug:

    * Home Page URL
    * Working redirect (request, destination)
    * Broken Redirect (request, destination)

    I sent it via email from your site’s contacts form. I don’t like to publish sites in dev. Especially hwre since the current site is a very old joomla site.

    I DID activate the plugin so you can observe it’s behavior.

    You should get it shortly. Thanks for the prompt attention.

    Still looking for help here!

    Plugin Author Scott Nelle


    Your email never came through. It’s possible that there’s something buggy with my form because I just switched hosts. Sorry about that! While I sort it out, you can email me directly at

    Plugin Author Scott Nelle


    for those following along at home, the issue here was that unnecessary redirects were being setup directing a page to itself, creating an infinite loop.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Plugin breaks top level menu links – but not submenu.’ is closed to new replies.