[Plugin: Blog Copier] FYI – Since this is a fork, you should list what you changed :)
It’s basically been rewritten. There’s actually very little left of the original code. I made this because I was working on a large scale project and the replicator kept crashing. The original replicator does a ton of looping through posts and filtering them. This one handles it in just a couple powerful queries.
Also, I stripped the UI down a bit to make it stupid simple.
Lastly, I encapsulated it in a Class and cleaned it up a whole lot.
Oh, and I made the file transfer optional since I had blogs with massive assets folders that I wanted to do data testing on without duplicating all the files.
Thanks for mentioning that. I’ll see where I can fit these notes in the readme.
Done. I’ve added notes to the readme. Please close this ticket when you have a chance. Thanks!
It’s not a support ticket, so it’ll just sit open unless folks spam it 😀
@peter – rearranging code is not rewriting it. The claim that it’s been 90% rewritten is completely false.
Hi Ron, I’m not sure if you got my email. But I’ve had some friendly questions for you.
All the same, I’ll site what’s different so that you can see that this is actually quite a different structure. I’m happy to alter the attribution and documentation how ever you would like. Honestly I’m not out to diminish your business. In fact Im happy for this plugin to send people your way.
1. The biggest change is that this copies blogs in a completely different approach than your plugin. That’s a pretty big change. It does not cycle through tables, instead it wholesale copies them and then adjusts a few minor items in the options. This is because cycling through each item on each table was causing it to crash on my larger projects. What you have written is more thorough but way less optimized for a large copy operation.
2. The file copying is rewritten. I also had troubles with the previous approach to file copying so I rewrote it.
3. The code is encapsulated so that it fits the organization that I like to see in the code that i use on my scale projects.
4. I’ve added filters all over the place so other devs can hook into this and alter it.
5. I’ve added localization support.
Really the only thing that’s still the same is some aspects of the UI. And even that has been altered a fair bit. Mostly I’ve reduced the features. As I stated in the readme, your plugin has more features.
So, here’s the long of the skinny… I don’t want to impact your business. I think what you do is fantastic. I want to offer what I’ve spent a lot of time on to the world. My offer to you Ron, what can I do to the code/attribution to best support you and honor the origins of this code?
- The topic ‘[Plugin: Blog Copier] FYI – Since this is a fork, you should list what you changed :)’ is closed to new replies.