WordPress.org

Forums

AutoNav Graphical Navigation and Gallery Plugin
One page pulling incorrect thumbnails. (4 posts)

  1. SidneyEileen
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I use AutoNav throughout my site for listing of static pages. On the majority of my site it is working properly. However, on one page half the images are incorrect, and on another two thumbnails refuse to display.

    http://sidneyeileen.com/shop/fine-art/steampunk/
    All of the featured images are fully shaded finished art pieces. The sketch and line art thumbnails showing are not listed or linked anywhere on those subpages, so I cannot for the life of me figure out how AutoNav is finding them, and even more confused that it's finding images that are actually related to the intended image. In my blog, the sketch and line versions appear in conjunction with the finished art images, but not on the static subpages linked from my shop. The other subpages also have similar blog entries, and yet they are showing up fine.

    I do use NextGen for most of my images, but the intended thumbnail images are all sourced from WordPress's native media. I found that avoided a lot of problems when I initially set up AutoNav on my site.

    I have tried resetting the thumbnails, and manually inputting the subpage_thumb custom field. I also checked Line 192 of autonav_wl.php, since it sounded like a very similar issue. None of the actions I took made any difference on the appearance of the page.

    I think the problem started when I updated to the latest version of WordPress, because the thumbnails worked fine when I set up the page initially.

    The other page that is giving me problems is http://sidneyeileen.com/shop/fine-art/animals/
    There are two sub-pages which are refusing to show their thumbnails. The problem on this page started about two months ago. I had hoped it might resolve itself on update. I have tried resetting the featured image and manually setting the thumbnail, but I cannot get either of those pages to display a thumbnail. For the life of me, I have no idea what is different between these two subpages and the other subpages.

    Thank you for any help.

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/autonav/

  2. wlindley
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Did you update to 1.4.9a? One previous version had a problem when a site had a file called "0.jpg" (because of the filename string "0" looked like the boolean value for false in PHP) but 1.4.9a should resolve that. If not, please email me.

  3. SidneyEileen
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I'm not participating in the beta testing, so I'll have to wait until the next release comes out to see if that fixes it. Thank you for your help.

  4. SidneyEileen
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I have some more specific details on the problem.

    I checked my pages after the recent version of WordPress was released, and it had no effect on any of the incorrect thumbnails I've been seeing. Since that failed, I did some experimenting and found that it is indeed the file names that are somehow being incorrectly called by the plugin. I don't know why or how, but they are.

    I am an artist, and I post a lot of Work-In-Progress images of my work. For ease of organization, I always name the files artwork-name-wip#.jpg, and just leave off the -wip# on the finished image. The incorrect thumbnails are always pulling image files that start the same, then have a dash. I've found some other locations where it is also pulling incorrect thumbnails (not WIP) which have filenames that start the same, but have a dash.

    I was able to fix the problem on one thumbnail by deleting all the similar named images in my Media Library, re-uploading them with a different filename that does not use a dash, and recreating all the instances of those images everywhere on my site. I'm sure I could take the same approach renaming the intended thumbnail and replacing all of its instances. It took about ten minutes to fix just one problem thumbnail, so with dozens of incorrect thumnbs you can imagine that I don't relish the idea of doing this for every single instance of an incorrectly called thumb.

    Simply replacing the media with a new filename did not work. The identifying filename at the top of the Edit Media page stayed the same even when the called filename was changed. That makes me think it is that identifying filename where the problem is happening.

    I can and will alter all my image files if I have to in order to have my web site appear as it should. However, I am hoping that this is a bug you have the time to address. If there is absolutely any other information I can give you to help with the problem, please let me know.

    Thank you so much for your time. I love the way your plugin works, and it has helped me tremendously in making my web site look the way I want it to.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic