[resolved] Google Map not working for "foreign" events (5 posts)

  1. hansteg
    Posted 4 years ago #


    that's a cool plugin.... here's a bug: the string submitted to googlemap includes text that confuses googlemap, when it has to handle countries that do not use "state" as part of their postal address. Googlemap then returns multiple citywide destinations.

    1) An event in South Africa couldn't be found since googlemap was looking for a place that included "no state" in the string.

    2) Events in Germany couldn't be found since they have states, but do not use them as part of their address. The string submitted is also an abbreviation that is not used in Germany. BER as part of a Berlin address returned multiple destinations, many of them unrelated locations that had BER or BAER in their name. ;-)))

    I know it's a pain with these international address formats... thanks, Hans


  2. slushman
    Plugin Author

    Posted 4 years ago #

    Hey Hans,

    Can I see your XML feed? I don't have any international gigs in mine, so I'd need to check out what information is included to see how to best format it.

  3. hansteg
    Posted 4 years ago #

  4. hansteg
    Posted 4 years ago #

    sorry, I see it includes all shows - I was only looking at those in the future.

  5. slushman
    Plugin Author

    Posted 4 years ago #

    No prob, I just added "future" to the end and that showed the upcoming stuff. I've changed how the plugin creates the map link. It will now use the full state name instead of the abbreviation, which should resolve the issues you were seeing. The events in Berlin show up correctly, even though its uses "Berlin Berlin Germany", but Google Maps seems to handle it correctly any way. I don't know where ArtistData got those abbreviations, but it everyone a disservice if its not something actually used. :P

    Also, if the state field says "No State", it will create the map link using the city and country, so the "No State" bit won't appear.

    FYI - I noticed one of the shows on that feed has the city and country in the address line, but those also appear in the city and country fields too, which would then get duplicated when the map link is created. Google Maps still seems to find the location properly, but that's something to watch out for. :)

    There's one other person who posted a bug report, so I'm going to take a look at that, then I'll post the update. Should see it tomorrow some time.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

  • ArtistDataPress
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Support Threads
  • Reviews

About this Topic