[Plugin: All in One SEO Pack] Annoying message after update and other thougts
I really appreciate the work you do for the community and maintaining this plugin. But I have to say that one of the new “features” of the plugin is really annoying.
Why do I have to go to the configuration page and “configure” the plugin every time after an update? I guess its just to show me the donation request and the new advertising, which is really annoying. And even after I donated once (and told the plugin so!) the status is reset after every update. Guess I won’t donate again.
Another thing are the updates self, which makes the “configuration required” global-admin-nag-bar even more ridiculous. It’s because nothing has changed! Since you don’t provide a real changelog (which I know is for obvious reasons) I checked the SVN history by myself and there are even releases in which you just changed the version number (220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168)! And since you are not using the “Stable tag” feature of the plugin repository, all version changes will notify all users directly about an update.
Here is a small “nonofficial changelog”:
1.6.6: Added big warning message that the plugin “needs to be configured” after every activation (Nothing else changed!)
22.214.171.124 Commented out big warning message
126.96.36.199 Just updated the version (Nothing else changed!)
1.6.7 Changed a few lines regarding tags as keywords, added advertising, several feeds about donations, highest donations
Please correct me if I missed something, but this list is what I’ve seen with a quick diff.
Here are a few suggestions I have:
- Remove the nag-bar. There is no reason for it. It appear even after absolutely nothing has changed, so telling me “the plugin needs to be configured” is simply a lie to show me the ads.
- Release updates when there is something to release. Making updates by just incrementing the version number is extremely annoying. I know that you want to stay on the list of the most-downloaded plugins, but is this the only way to go?
- Move the newly added feeds to the bottom or at least load them asynchronously. Every time I want to change the settings of the plugin, I need to wait now until your server responded. If your server is down, the page probably won’t even load (see other threads in the forum here).
- Use the Stable Tag feature of the plugin repository. Don’t update everything in trunk. This way you can add nag-screens, fix bugs and so on and if you have a few things ready, tag it and update the Stable tag.
Of course it’s your plugin and I appreciate what you do, but please don’t overplay. Thanks.
- The topic ‘[Plugin: All in One SEO Pack] Annoying message after update and other thougts’ is closed to new replies.