I noticed that when I have the Calendar activated, I see the following in my status bar (in my browser).
> Waiting for simplecdn.maxcdn.com …
It takes quite a while (such as maybe up to a minute or so) when I try to go to another page in the backend of the site, switch to another plugin, do basically anything on the backend of the site, in WordPress administration area.
It appears that a recent update was made which caused this problem.
I am noticing this in Firefox as well as Chrome. (both newest versions).
I am just hoping you are working to resolve this asap.
Can you let me know what you feel might be the issue. It doesn’t appear to be related to a theme I’m using or anything like that. It just seems like it’s this plugin.
I saw (in one of the posts) the following:
Had the same problem. My (temporary) solution: in wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-event-calendar/app/controller/class-ai1ec-events-controller.php on line 120 remove or comment
wp_enqueue_script( ‘jquery.tools-form’, ‘http://cdn.jquerytools.org/1.2.5/form/jquery.tools.min.js’, array( ‘jquery’ ), ‘1.2.5’ );
Hope this helps for you too!
I tried this and it did resolve the issue. But I’m not sure if this is the “correct” way to handle this or if it will be better if you make a permanent modification so the issue goes away.
Please let me know.
- The topic ‘[Plugin: All-in-One Event Calendar] Urgent issue with All-In-One-Event-Calendar "Waiting for si’ is closed to new replies.