Hi, just to give my lost research time more sense, I will share my observations with this plugin here. Note to the authors: this is not bashing, I am giving you an unbiased review of what is wrong with your plugin so you might better understand what people need - I am not trying to be extremely polite, but text is just taken from my notes, so in any case please do not take it personally - I totally understand from my own experience that programming a calendar is by no means an easy thing to do, so please read my words as contribution to your success (and how it might get an even better one:)
This is the list of reasons why I can not use this plugin:
- Most problematic: "events" are a custom post type (seems so to me), this is an approach that makes some things more complicated than neccessary, e.g. with many themes you will have problems showing events in any kind of "featured" area - also this way events usually are not shown in the flow of posts until you heavily customize your theme - what might break other features or plugin, why you do not want to do this, if you are not absolutely sure that your site-features and theme will not change for a long time.
This again means that your site content categorization strategy has to be adjusted to this fact. This can be good, if you can build a new site, but usually it is bad, because you will have to generate two posts for an event - one actual calendar event and another post that will occur in the NEWS or WHATEVER categoriy of your site - this is not very clever, even if others are also doing it like this. An event should be an property that can be attached to a post, that way you will have full theme support and can utilize categories or tags to control, where your content is shown.
- There is no way to input multi-day events that have different event times on different days - but that is quite usual for multi-day events! So if you have a multi-day event that starts on the first day at 12:00 and lasts until 15:00, but the second day runs from 10:00 to 18:00, you have to make this two separate events - not good.
- "Upcoming Events" widget is shown even if there are no upcoming events.
- The widget shows every day of a multi-day event as a separate entry, this should be made optional, as it is filling up your widget area with repeated strings.
- The widget should have more options to change the appearance of the event list.
- I can not make the "Subscribe to Google Calendar Button" disappear
- The buttons are really ugly - generally there should be much more options to customize the appearance of the calendar and related items.
- Also there is small bug showing me ":00 pm" on the beginning of en event string that starts at 8:00 pm
- Please add an option to delete everything your plugin wrote to the wordpress database! Leave the house, where you have been a guest, clean!
Maybe there´s more, however that was enough for me! Hopefully this features are easy to add, BTW what I really liked with your plugin is your focus on ical implementation, that alone is a monster of work, I know it! ;)