Support » Plugin: The SEO Framework - Extension Manager » Plugin activated, but does not appear on production site

  • Resolved pixeline



    I use to manage a site WordPress setup configuration over 2 environments: a development and Production environments.
    I can activate and configure SFEM just fine on the development env, but not on the Production environment, even though I’m using an Admin account in both cases.
    I’ve told the team but perhaps you can solve this from your side or know of a workaround?

    Thank you for this ΓΌber useful plugin.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer


    Hi @pixeline,

    Could you elaborate on “not activating”?
    i.e. there’s an error message shown, the plugin stays deactivated, the plugin is activated but there’s no menu entry, etc.

    In the meantime, I’ll look into this issue and scenario.


    Hello Sybre,

    Sorry I realize my question is poorly phrased. Also: note that I used composer to manage the plugin installation and updates.

    On the development server, everything works as expected.
    On the production server, the plugin can be activated but after that point, the setup process does not continue, there is no prompt inviting me to enter the username and password and the Settings page is not displayed, neither in the Admin menu, nor if I try to access it directly by typing the url wp-admin/admin.php?page=theseoframework-extensions.
    There are no related error messages I could find in nginx error.log nor in php7.1-fpm.

    Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you, thank you!

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer


    Hi @pixeline,

    To display the Extensions menu, these conditions must all be true:
    1. The SEO Framework must be activated.
    2. wp-admin/admin.php?page=theseoframework-settings must be accessible.
    3. The user must be able to install_plugins or update_plugins.

    I’d assume, because you use composer, you’ve disabled the plugin install/update menu through WordPress definitions?
    So, please check and see if define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_MODS', true ); is set in wp-config.php.

    If that’s true, I’d guess I’d need to find my way around this πŸ™‚

    P.S. it was set to install_plugins | update_plugins because I wanted to do external file loading. This was set very early in writing the plugin. I’d guess I’ll go for only activate_plugins in the next update.

    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Sybre Waaijer.

    yes indeed, define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_MODS', true ); is set in wp-config.php. It’s by design (from the folks maintaining trellis) and it does make sense, so that Production server updates come from the git repo.

    I had a look at the Administrator default capabilities. Perhaps the manage_options capability would make sense and still filter out anyone but administrators ?

    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  pixeline.
    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer


    The manage_options does sound better, especially since the extensions are rather seen as options than activating a whole system.

    Looking at Jetpack’s code, they also use manage_options πŸ™‚

    If you wish to alter the capabilities before I release a new version, you should edit this line.

    Thank you so much for all the input!

    Thank you for your quick followup! I’ll wait eagerly for the next update πŸ™‚

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer


    Hi @pixeline,

    I just pushed all necessary changes to the GitHub repository:

    Effective commit @ version 1.2.0-dev2017.03.07.0:

    It’s planned as a major release, this means new extensions are on their way πŸ™‚


    Awesome!! Do you have any ETA ?

    Plugin Author Sybre Waaijer


    Hi @pixeline,

    Plans for 1.2.0
    I want to release a companion extension with the 2.9 release, which adds a new tab in the SEO settings. What it’s going to be is still to be determined, but I already have a good estimation πŸ™‚

    I also want to add Local SEO settings, which first requires a whole new class (or even three classes) and a trait to make this happen: that all for only the settings page.

    Nevertheless, my priority currently lies with releasing The SEO Framework 2.9.
    The ETA for that is 1 week.

    The ETA
    All in all, the ETA for 1.2.0 is about one to three months. So I advise you to use the GitHub release I posted earlier.
    Here’s a direct download link to the ZIP file.
    Although I’m unsure of any Composer conflicts, it ought to work πŸ™‚

    Why don’t you release 1.1.1?
    I’m quite hesitant on releasing small changes with major impact, like this one, outside of the current release cycle.
    This is because it requires a lot of work on documentation, which I’d much rather do all at once. Although it can be seen as a bug, it’s actually a feature and thus behavioral change.
    Also, it’s not really in line on what I stated in the FAQ regarding the release cycle.

    I also tend to make a big list of changes every major release.

    Rounding it up
    With all that, this change will be shipped with 1.2.0 πŸ™‚ ETA one to three months.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Plugin activated, but does not appear on production site’ is closed to new replies.