Support » Plugin: Simple Social Icons » Phone URI

  • peterfz30

    (@peterfz30)


    Hi,
    The phone number I wish to use is 0362287448
    The content of the Phone URI field is tel:0362287448

    Selecting the icon on a normal pc browser (Chrome), the url is: tel:tel:0362287448
    On a mobile the result is: 8350362287448 both of which are incorrect.

    Can somebody help please

    The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plugin Contributor Nick Cernis

    (@modernnerd)

    Hi, @peterfz30.

    Please could you try entering just the phone number into the Phone URI field, without the ‘tel:’ prefix?

    In my tests that produces the correct number with a tel: prefix on the front end.

    peterfz30

    (@peterfz30)

    Hi Nick, thank you for your reply.

    I have entered just the number and now get a blank page.

    This is the same in mobile view.

    Plugin Contributor Nick Cernis

    (@modernnerd)

    Hi Peter

    I see the correct number on desktop and mobile now at https://mentalhealthcarerstas.org.au/.

    If the blank page you mention is on the back end, I recommend checking your PHP error log for further information as to the cause.

    peterfz30

    (@peterfz30)

    Hi Nick,
    It works for me on FireFox but not on Chrome in both mobile and pc.

    Plugin Contributor Nick Cernis

    (@modernnerd)

    The phone link will only work on devices with telephone capabilities.

    If your browser isn’t set up to handle the tel: protocol or if your device doesn’t have telephone capabilities, you’ll just see a blank window when you click the phone link.

    peterfz30

    (@peterfz30)

    Thanks Nick.
    I have no idea but it now seems to be working on both browser and mobile.

    I didn’t change anything but will keep an eye on it for a few days.

    Thank you for your help.

    Experiencing the same issue: Phone url reads “tel:<number>”, but link does not work. It either opens a blank page, or prefixes the phone number with “835” in the dialer.

    This is a recent problem, effects sites working perfectly fine for years, and occurs with every variation of the number in the “Phone URI” field in widget settings… Note that “835” is reads “tel” on a keypad. My phone is trying to parse the tel: prefex even when no tel: prefix is added in widget settings.

    835 prefix occurs in Firefox and Chrome. Edge gives a blank page. Didn’t test Safari. Mobile and desktop give similar results.

    Hi,

    I have noticed same ie. tel+3581234567 and it will give 835… workaround:

    Please check if you have used simple social icons in other widgets and put it without tel: > directly +3581234567 way in every single widget you have used. After that it works.

    best regards Jari

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Phone URI’ is closed to new replies.