It think I may have found a bug in wordpress. Now here's what I noticed:
I use a clean wordpress install (latest version 3.5.1 without plugins or
themes) with permalinks activated (post name).
In any category without child categories, when I type
"www.mysite.com/?cat=2" in the browser, I automatically get redirected to
the category's permalink: "www.mysite.com/categoryname/"
The behavior is different in categories with child categories: automatic
redirection to permalink is not working. I type "www.mysite.com/?cat=3" and
I do not automatically get redirected to the correct permalink. (I stay on
How can I resolve that? Is this a real bug or not? Can I send bug report to the wordpress bug tacker?
There's how to provoke the bug:
* Install the latest wordpress version 3.5.1
* Create a category with sub-categories
* Create another category without sub-categories
* Activate permalinks setting using option "Post name" in Settings > Permalinks
* type http://www.mysite.com/?cat=ID - replace ID with either a category without
children or with children